Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Heads Up Display on a Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 10:46 PM

Heads Up Display on a Camaro?

Has anyone ever purchased this product - Lingenfelter sells it on their website

http://www.lingenfelter.com/lingenf...=35&pf%5Fid=494

I have a few questions about this product.
#1 - I have a 2000 Camaro Z28 - I'm assuming this would be compatible. Am I correct?
#2 - How exactly does this work - i.e. installation wise?
#3 - If it were to be mounted on the dash - it is ok for it to be in direct sunlight for extended periods of time without damaging the unit?
#4 - the picture supplied on the website has two different units - one with blue led lights and one with red ones - are there two different models or can you change colors?

Hope someone has this or knowledge about this product - cause I'm very interested.

Thanks to anyone that can help
Old 04-14-2003, 03:53 AM

I was thinking along the same lines.

The Pontiac Grand Prix GTP has a heads up display in it. I wonder if one of those units can be grafted into the dash of an F-body.

Anyone know how these things interface with the vehicle?
I think this would be a very cool mod to do if it is possible.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:00 AM

link didn't work
Old 04-14-2003, 07:33 AM

Ok... well here's what I know....

THe LPE/Defi unit is a good unit from everything I've read. They have one US version out that looks pretty nice and I've not read a bad review about it. The Red/Blue is a couice when you buy it, you can either buy a red or blue version, they DON'T change colors. It's compadiable with almost any car that uses a electronic VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)

The only thing I kinda don't like is the small 3" x 3" window film that you have to stick to your windshield to prevent a double reflection, reflection of the numbers on bother surfaces fo the windshield. I've seen it installed without the film and they said it was still alright... Something I'll have to experiment with when I buy mine.

A GP/Vette unit will NOT work in our cars... I spent a good amount of time researching and looking at them... there's not enough room underneath our dash covers for the unit with MAJOR mods.... I'm talking cutting the firewall and such.... Not to mention the angle of the windshield is different and thus the way the lens of the unit focus's the display maybe out of focus.. I never got that far but it was one of the other concern's that I was working on.

Wow... I know that's a lot to type and read but it's all I've researched.... minus some little things.... like the costs of the GP/Vette unit.... GP new - $600+, Vette, $1000+... used: have fun trying to find one... I looked for 6 months with no luck....
Old 04-14-2003, 04:01 PM

Heres the link again - hopefully it works this time
http://www.lingenfelter.com/lingenfe...35&pf%5Fid=494
If it didnt work - just go to www.lingenfelter.com then on the left hand side, click on accessories, then click on interior accessories, then the Heads up Display Speedometer and Tachometer

Thanks for the info 97FormulaWS-6 - it really seems that you did your homework on this one. But one more question, how would it install - I mean what would it connect to? Would one just simply use the 12V power outlet or cigarette lighter - or is there legitimate hard wiring involved, and what would that be?
You seem to be the only one that knows anything about this product so far
I was thinking that it had to reflect off of something, but I was hoping that you did not need to put anything on the front windshield - hopefully its not absolutely necessary.

Thanks
Old 04-14-2003, 04:06 PM
96z

Interesting product....Im might have to look into this more...
Old 04-14-2003, 04:27 PM

I always thought it would be extremly annoying, when you trying to see the road and you've something glaring off the window, it's not extremly easy t read either. it would be cool while racing on the track though because it's safe and you don't have to really see anything outside the car. But i think it would extremly dangerous and distracting on the road. but if you could put a switch on it it would be cool, not worth hundreds of dollars and major frustration from installation to me but none the less...
Old 04-14-2003, 07:56 PM

It involves some more wiring than just 12V+ and Gnd....

There is a seperate brain box which has adjustment ***** on it, and the display. The display either gets mounted to your dash cover, or like I'm going to do and cut my dash cover and recess it into it to make it look as factory as possible.

The wiring is straightforward, you just are going to need someone who can ID some of the wires from your car... I have a manual for my car year (97), but I don't know if the wiring diagrams transfer from year to year. I know you have to tap into 12V, GND, VSS, and Tach. I believe those are the 4 wires that hook to the car. The hard part is finiding the VSS sensor wire on the PCM. I believe Shockwave will be able to tell you what color wire and where on the PCM/BCM it's located for your car.

and yes... I always do my research... something I've been researching for about 3 years now..... just haven't had the $$ for the unit, more important things lately....
Old 04-14-2003, 11:10 PM
96z

Interesting project...I do know that one of the VSS wires is purple. Might be easier to run a wire underneath the dash through the rubber gromet if you have an A4 or the shifter hole if you have an M6 to the VSS sensor. You really cant go wrong that way as far as finding it.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:30 PM

I did a little homework on this back in Sept. The only problem I ran into was its bulkyness. However if you did find a nice spot to recess it into the dash then it'd be great. I'd love for my passengers to see how fast I'm going

I emailed them:
I have a 01 camaro v6.. I was wondering if I could instal the
Heads Up Display Speedometer & Tachometer correctly. I ask this becasue I went to a dyno and the guy had trouble finding the proper wire to tap to get the exact rpm reading. I'm sure this goes off the same wire, so thats why I ask. also, is there a way to turn off the display? and if there is, will the unit still take max speed ratings? in the description on your website, it says that there's a shift light... can this be turned off, I have an a4, so there's no point to it. thanks for all your help

Here's they're reply
Josh-
Yes, the HUD taps into that same wire. Also, I don't think you can turn off the display without turning the entire unit off. The shift light can be disabled.

Hope that helps anyone! Good Luck!
Old 04-15-2003, 05:52 PM

Ehh its not worth it guys. Even though I think something like this is cool, the LPE version doesnt look like anything special. Now the factory HUD like on Vettes and GP's are really nice. You get everything from speed, radio station, volume, turn signals, temp control, everything. As for the guy that said it would be annoying, it really isnt at all. I have it on my 98 GTP and love it, you can change the height and brightness and never once did I think of it as annoying. If so just turn it off. The LPE HUD just looks so basic and not worth it. For the $200 I would pay for that I think I can look about 1ft down and see my speedo:-)
Old 05-04-2003, 06:22 PM

check this out: http://hud.cz28.com/
lol right from here!! anyway, he's going pretty good on it and you can kinda see what he's up 2..
Im going to try the same thing, but with the system in the truck or a minicontroler in the dash...
I want to try this on 3 Vehs. a S10 a 97z28 and a 300zx
yeah search google and you'll find alot of info