Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Guide to Fixing a Sagging Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:47 PM

Guide to Fixing a Sagging Headliner

I needed to fix my headliner and couldn't really find a thread on it with all the information in one spot so here's my guide to fixing a saggy headliner

things you'll need:

- a flat head screw driver

- shop vac

- razor blade

- duck tape

- fabric to replace the old stuff - $32

I bought 2 square yards from jo-ann fabrics. Just ask them for material to replace a headliner and they have big roles. Its a felt material with a thin layer of foam

- headliner adhesive - $20/per can
I'd get 2 cans so you dont have to be conservative with it but 1 can will cover the whole headliner. I got this at jo-ann fabrics surprisingly. It was right by the fabric

step 1
remove the interior trim.

remove the A-pillars - they're just held in by clips. Use some force because you really can't break the clips but still use good judgment.

remove the sun visors and rear dome light by removing the screws

Remove the rear clothes hangers. This will allow you to pull the rear interior trim down enough to pull the headliner out.

To remove the clothes hangers, put a small flat head screw driver and pry that little square out. It's just a clip. Once the male part of the clip is out, the female part (the part the clothes hanger would rest on) will pull right out...See pictures

The trim pieces should be loose enough and the headliner should just come out. Try not get the bend the headliner board. You do not need to detach the seat belt. there is a slit in the headliner for the seat belt to slip through

Last edited by bbreeze93; 07-14-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:48 PM

Re: Guide to Fixing a Sagging Headliner

Step 2
So now that you have the headliner out you need to "recondition" the board.

Pull off the old fabric.

Time to get the shop vac.
WEAR GLOVES. this is same stuff insulation is made out of.

Take your shop vac without an attachment and "scrub" the board with the hose. the old stuff should just start coming off. The goal is to get rid of the old glue and rotting foam. Remove loose layers but try not to remove to many layers that aren't necessary

it should look like this

Step 3

Now that the board is clean and reconditioned its time for the adhesive

READ THE DIRECTIONS. The stuff I got had me spray both sides that would come in contact with each other and wait 30 seconds. Its very sticky right away so be patient and careful.

If you can have 1 person hold the fabric while you apply. I think it'll make job easier and is almost necessary. 2 people would be even better. start at a bottom and slowing pushing it down. Don't spray it and lay it all at once. If the fabric is to tight you will not be able to get it to adhere to the wells in the headliner. Let it cure over night

Day 2 and Step 4

now that the adhesive is dry you need to trim and tuck the edge. I left about 2-3 inches of fabric on the sides so i could roll it over on the top the headliner to give it a clean edge. You also need to cut out the part for the seat belts to go through. I just used duck tape for the extra fabric to hold it over the edge on the top of the headliner. it'll never be seen anyways.

you should get something like this

Finally, it's all just putting things back together in reverse. Recline the seats all the way back so you dont bend the headliner. It's easier if you have 1-2 people holding the headliner up while you put it back under the trim and screw everything in....i got it done by myself

I did a black headliner and left the visors gray to match the 2 tone seats. ( looks a lot better in person)

Good luck and save yourself $150.

Last edited by bbreeze93; 07-14-2012 at 01:32 PM.