Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Guaging Interest: T-Top Installation DVD and Manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 12:16 PM

Guaging Interest: T-Top Installation DVD and Manual

Well, I've been kicking this idea around for a while now and I was wondering what ya'll thought about it. It must be at least once a week that someone on here asks; "I want T-Tops, can it be done? ect....". And out of those 100 people who ask, probably only 1 actually does it. Why? Well, most people are to scared to do it themselves. I know I am! Those of you that have already done it insist that there is good info on the web and stuff, but most sites only have part of the puzzle put together. What I am thinking about is actually documenting the entire process of my conversion on video and on camera and have tons of pictures and such. Then I'd make a DVD video showing what to do and how to do it (as well as document what you need to do it and stuff). I'd also include a color manual with detailed photos so you can have it right there by your side when you do it. That way you can use the manual and if you have questions, watch the DVD. Anyone else think this could be very helpful?
Old 05-18-2005, 04:59 PM

Re: Guaging Interest: T-Top Installation DVD and Manual

Sounds like a good idea to me. I wish there were more informative DVD's / manuals on a lot of FBody related mods.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:18 AM

I agree with it being a good idea. I have been interested in doing the install, but am too afraid to take to my car with a sawzall. Seeing someone else chopping their car apart on a dvd would be comforting in the least... and you are right about finding bits and pieces of information here and there. I have not yet found a one stop place to get all the information.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by tomcat87
I agree with it being a good idea. I have been interested in doing the install, but am too afraid to take to my car with a sawzall. Seeing someone else chopping their car apart on a dvd would be comforting in the least... and you are right about finding bits and pieces of information here and there. I have not yet found a one stop place to get all the information.
My feelings exactly! I don't mind doing the conversion by myself, I know I can do it. I'd just like to be able to go over it once or twice by actually seeing it done first, if nothing else to make my nerves a little calmer. But I don't mind doing it first to my car to make the DVD and stuff, I'm just ready to have T-Tops for the summer!

Last edited by TechCam97; 05-19-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:18 AM

I think its a great idea...

Feel free to hit me up with some questions, I'll give you a hand if you want.

I think the reason why no one does a write up, is its alot of work to do an all in one writeup on the internet. That and its sometimes hard to remember every step unless you are taking notes as you go along.

I know I was nervous, I was doing the conversion in apartment parking lots and at a friends driveway without a garage IN FLORIDA! in fact the 2nd day i did it, it drizzled a little, and the day after that, it rained like 6-8 hours straight.

People think of it more like a hard work to create it, but in reality all you are doing is "de-engineering" more then making stuff. You spend most your time cutting stuff out, little bending to make a lip for the weatherstripping(like 4-6 in of metal) then everything bolts into factory mounts.

I tried to take alot of pics, but in the end doesn't seem like as many. We were too busy just engineering things
Old 05-19-2005, 10:26 AM

Sweet, thanks man! I know my paranoid self will stop and ask some questions when I get to a spot that I'm not sure of! I hear ya about the "de-engineering" stuff. Before I got all my componants together, I wasnt' scared at all about doing this. But once it came time to put up or shut up....I wasn't saying anything anymore! I'm still nervous, but I think I'm ready. Once my parents garage is cleaned out I'll prolly start working on it. I'm taking a little longer than others cuz I want to document it fully though.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:18 AM

good idea man, its not that hard to convert it t all...jsut have somebody video tape it, it took me alltogether 4 hours over the period of 2 days, and the idea of a booklet is even better.

for some reason my frame bent 3 months after the conversion, keep in mind the car i did it on was a 6cyl
Old 05-19-2005, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Sweet, thanks man! I know my paranoid self will stop and ask some questions when I get to a spot that I'm not sure of! I hear ya about the "de-engineering" stuff. Before I got all my componants together, I wasnt' scared at all about doing this. But once it came time to put up or shut up....I wasn't saying anything anymore! I'm still nervous, but I think I'm ready. Once my parents garage is cleaned out I'll prolly start working on it. I'm taking a little longer than others cuz I want to document it fully though.

I had my crap for like 5 months before I did it...

Once you get the roof skin off it goes alot quicker... because it doesn't even seem like your car anymore.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

If you do this, I'd be happy to host it for you on my site... minus maybe some of the video depending on file sizes. I do this for other people who have made guides but don't have the bandwidth necessary to host them. If you do and want me to host it, let me know!
Old 05-21-2005, 12:11 PM

absolutely!
Old 05-23-2005, 01:04 AM

I was thinking about making a dvd showing you how to chop the top of a camaro down a little bit...but then it got down to only have 3 inches of space left on a 5'9 tall guy...so I passed on the idea

I've got a little progress done on reskinning the quarter panel if anyone is interested...I see about 5 different camaros a month with dents (severe dents...body work dents) in the rear and its really not that hard to fix even if your not a body man....I'll post my thread in a minute.