Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

GREAT upgrade for those crappy headlights!! (photos w/ in)

Old 04-02-2003, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Team Untouchable
OK guys, I was thinking tonite that a couple of months ago I saw a HID kit that was taken off an audi. I am thinking it included the ballasts and the bulbs. Im thinking with a little modification, those bulbs could fit in our 90mm's. But I am guessing we would need some sort of new connector so the bulbs would hook up with our harnesses. What do you guys think?
If it comes from a projector headlight (most likely if it's from Audi) than it probably has a D2S bulb, which would fit in the H9 housing with minimal work. Light source position should pretty much be correct if you get the base of the bulb against the backplate. For this, you need to make the hole a little bigger. The most work is to fab something up to hold the bulb in place and then to make the whole thing weatherproof. There are some links earlier in this thread to pages describing the process, quite a few people have already done this.

Sam
Old 05-02-2003, 07:13 PM

Lets put this to the front page and maybe some other people have done it since the last post?
Old 05-02-2003, 08:10 PM

I really like the looks of the headlights and the price is awsome. I think it is a great alternative to the piaa option. I am going to look into doing this myself. Great idea.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:45 PM

For everybody that's interested in doing this upgrade, I have posted a preliminary write-up on this, I've gotten up to the low beam installation written. I will try to get the high beam portion done soon! I've been getting some emails now and then from people doing this upgrade so apparently it's getting some attention!

Sam's Write-up

You can always email me with questions (or suggestions of course!)

Sam
Old 05-04-2003, 10:17 PM

Great job, Sam. I zapped you a e-mail.

I love these lights!
Old 05-28-2003, 05:27 AM

Talking

I just placed an order for my Hella high and low beams.I should get them in 2 weeks.What kind of connecters do I need? Thanks Sam for posting pic's.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by dlx3200
I just placed an order for my Hella high and low beams.I should get them in 2 weeks.What kind of connecters do I need? Thanks Sam for posting pic's.
You need H9 connectors, I got my lights and connectors from the same place (Susquehanna Motorsports). I got an extra one just to be safe.

Sam
Old 05-28-2003, 12:03 PM

what about this low beams and the square high beams, I think that would look good.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:05 PM

that's exactly like I have it- Check out the sig
Old 05-28-2003, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by 95 3.8
what about this low beams and the square high beams, I think that would look good.
I also have some pics on my site from when I only had the low beams installed. Follow the More Pics link on my install page.

However, I think it looks much better with both low and highs round. JMHO though...

Sam
Old 05-28-2003, 01:05 PM

I mean, this low beams and Brent's highs, or the other way around; I love the new GT-40 headlights
Old 05-28-2003, 01:11 PM

Did anyone else who did this mod feel as though it was a very tight fit to fit the new hellas. Seems like mine is touching my bumper, and since so, may be aimed a bit high when I get it all said and done. Was that just my experience, or have you other people experienced that as well. If they were 80mm or 85 mm I believe it would have fit better.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by Team Untouchable
Did anyone else who did this mod feel as though it was a very tight fit to fit the new hellas. Seems like mine is touching my bumper, and since so, may be aimed a bit high when I get it all said and done. Was that just my experience, or have you other people experienced that as well. If they were 80mm or 85 mm I believe it would have fit better.
Yes, it's a tight fit. I removed the little "tab" that holds the horizontal part of the bumper up, that way the lights push it down a little bit. You shouldn't have any problems with aiming, the mounting screws are more that strong enough to push a piece of plastic down...

HTH

Sam
Old 07-28-2003, 12:34 PM

Just wanted to save this thread from the recycle bin. There's a lot of good info in here for people that want to upgrade their headlights..

Sam
Old 07-28-2003, 01:59 PM

Thanks Sam. As you know ive been working on mine and had the whole weekend off. Myself and a buddy decided to make a whole new setup for the front. We had to custom make a front bracket thing. Took the whole saturday and sunday. Im hoping to be able to finish it tomorrow. I can post some pics on here or send some to you. I cant wait.

Also, are these the houseings that new BMW's use. I look at the headlights of beamers and they look like the same housings. Ill try and repost on here tomorrow after we hopefully finish.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GREAT upgrade for those crappy headlights!! (photos w/ in)