Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

GREAT upgrade for those crappy headlights!! (photos w/ in)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 01:05 PM

Re: GREAT upgrade for those crappy headlights!! (photos w/ in)

Originally Posted by Sam95ZNoTop
Just a quick note to keep this thread alive...
Gotta keep this one alive as it's referenced in the lighting guide.

Sam
Old 12-30-2004, 03:16 AM

Jeez, it's been a while since I checked out this thread... I've got FF50's installed in the factory fog location. They alone are better than the stock headlights. I'm always forgetting to turn the lows on 'cause I run the fogs all the time and when it gets dark, I can still see fine. I actually get brighted more since I put the fogs on if the lows are on, too. Sucks for them, I just have to tap the highbeams and they think better of it The fogs are aimed properly but they don't have a shield over the bulb and look pretty bright. The factory bracket needs to be removed and a piece of flat stock cut to fit. It bolts to the bottom of the rad. mount using stock holes and is drilled for the light bracket (the one that can with the FF50's). Because they are so low and I was always getting the factory fog lenses broken by rocks, etc., I got the plastic lense protectors that Hella makes for the FF50's. Installed spring 2003 and no broken or burned out lights yet!

They are a very bright white light with the lows having a touch of blueness right at the beam cut-off. h-7 fog bulbs and h-9 low & highbeams. I'm plenty happy with them and not planning to go HID conversion, but it's good to know there's some folks out there that can answer questions if I do!

I wanted the 90mm fogs in the factory location to match the others but the housing is too long to fit well, they'll stick out about 2" from the opening, unless someone wants to cut up the rad mount behind them The FF50's look good with the 90mm 'cause they're oval, not rectanglular. The stock fogs looked like crap with the Hellas.

I also did the highbeam+fogs wiring mod so the fogs stay on if I hit the brights. Two h-7's and 4 h-9's usually make folks dim their brights pretty quick

Just sent a few pics out to someone wanting to check my install out so I've got pics handy on the HD. No, the girl ain't a girlfriend....oops, gonna get a bunch o requests for 'em now, lol

Z28Nut

P.S. Thanks for the positive comment on my install, Sam!

Last edited by Z28Nut; 12-30-2004 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:57 AM

hey, would u consider emailin me those pix? skisax80@graceba.net would love to see this install ur talkin about! thanks!
Old 12-31-2004, 12:19 AM

Very nice setup!
Old 12-31-2004, 04:12 AM

skisax80 -- Sent pics. I've got some better pics of the model, but they're in the studio, not with the car Took them up at a model shoot in Grand Rapids. After shooting her outdoors with the car, a bunch of other photogs wanted to have the models pose with it After doing some studio shots, I went out and found a guy shooting a girl with her sitting on the middle of the spoiler with her high heels on the bumper and

Z28Nut

Last edited by Z28Nut; 12-31-2004 at 04:30 AM.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:14 PM

thankx for the pic i like the set up there.. ever thought about putting together some kits of that and sellin em on here? i wonder if there is some way to fill some of the space around them? any ideas?
Old 01-01-2005, 11:38 AM

Yeah, I had planned on doing up an install website with downloadable patterns for the brackets and every thing but working over 1000hrs of overtime in 2003 and not sure how much this year, I just never got around to it. The other problem is I cut out a heck of a lot more material off the back of the original headlight bucket support than Sam95zNoTop and I have no idea how much this compromises the strength of the front end.

I still have the original pattern for the brackets and if someone wants to try figure out how to mount the lights with the brackets without cutting off basically the whole section the orig. headlight buckets went, let me know. I can rescan it and send it to ya. I also have a bunch of pics I took while doing my install that I can dig out of my archives.

I've just got too many projects to do on the house to have the spare the time to learn how to setup and maintain a website and stuff. I hate to cop out of it but my job has left me a burned out empty shell of a man, lol. But if someone else wants to grab the ball, I'm more than happy to help out with what I got.

Any takers?

As far as filling in around the openings, I have some sheet aluminium to cut and bend so it fits across the headlight area with just holes for the lights themselves. That's gonna be another cardboard mock up so it can be scanned and passed along to others. Along with the flush-mount clear GTS headlight covers. They're on my list but got bumped back due to living in Michigan and having a very small unheated garage. Somehow I'd rather run gas line to a drier in a 60* basement than freeze my @$$ off in the garage Once I get to them, I'll let you guys know and have template patterns available.

Z28Nut

Last edited by Z28Nut; 01-01-2005 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:57 PM

cool cait wait to see that... so where can i get these lights at? cause i really HATE the lights on my car....
Old 01-01-2005, 01:16 PM

Go here for the FF50 fogs:

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/ff050.asp

Go here for new 52mm & 80mm projectors fogs ( might fit in stock fog location? ):

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/DE_Fog.asp

And here for the 90mm projector headlights ( DOT legal ):

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/90mm_modules.asp

On the same page as the 90mm headlamps are the connectors, you will need these to connect the lights to factory harness. Order one for each light. Let me know if you want the pattern for the brackets I made. I'll dig it up and scan it.

Z28Nut
Old 01-01-2005, 01:36 PM

Uh, I just noticed the 52mm and 80mm DE fog projectors are pretty long and probably won't fit in the stock fog location. The 90mm projector Fogs are alot shorter, but would need a lot more work fabricating a bracket to fit them in place of the FF50s.

I like the Xenon hi/low units but they are even longer than the H-9 lowbeam units and they are a tight squeeze. A pair in the factory lowbeam location and a pair where the factory fogs are with a pair of HID driving lights in the stock highbeam location would kick @$$. A lot of money and fabrication work, too! $2300 just for the lights . . . Anybody wanna try this? Or provide the funds for me to try??? Lol.

I'm happy enough with my set up though I may eventually try to get the 90mm Hella fogs to fit in place of my FF50s. Will possibly try the HID mod to the existing projectors, $$ permiting. I wanna get in the 12s first.

Z28Nut
Old 01-01-2005, 07:10 PM

i just orderd the hella 90 MM h7 ones so i can plop in a h7 HID conversion kit --- should work right hehe --- researched for a month or so so it seems to be right --- buy the h7 hella 90 MM lenses (low beam only for now) --- then get the conversion kit that has h7 bulbs --- please tell me thats right hehe
Old 01-01-2005, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by ErockZ28
i just orderd the hella 90 MM h7 ones so i can plop in a h7 HID conversion kit --- should work right hehe --- researched for a month or so so it seems to be right --- buy the h7 hella 90 MM lenses (low beam only for now) --- then get the conversion kit that has h7 bulbs --- please tell me thats right hehe
IIRC there's some trimming of the 'shield' necessary to get the best HID beam with the non HID 90mm lenses. There's a site out there somewhere with the specifics on modding the 'shield'.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:37 PM

yea i read something about blinding people or sumtin on the passanger side of the car --- im taking my car into a custom shop to get it done since i know the guy so im not really doing it myself but i will print out all the info for him and he will do whats best
Old 01-03-2005, 07:59 PM

Hey ErockZ28, that sounds like a great set-up. Nothin' like jumping into projectors and HID! I'm gonna hold off on the HID part for a bit ( mostly funding and time issues ) so good luck with it. Could ya do some before and after shots of the beam patterns? I'd like to see that.

Sam95zNoTop -- Found a link that had some possibilities for a more bolt-in like kit. It's for a Miata but the idea could be applied to the 93-97. Remove stock lights and brackets, drop this unit in, attatch to existing mounting points, plug in adapter harness, and voila! Let me know what ya think.

http://www.midtennmiata.com/round_headlights.htm

I think that's Mid Tennessee Miata, not mid tens Miata
Old 01-03-2005, 08:52 PM

looks good --- except im only doing low beams now --- i had to pay for the projector lenses myself my xmas present was ither 300 bucks for rims or 300 for HID and since its winter on long island HID will be best --- ill take some shots of before and after (mind you i have crapy hyper whites in stock housing lololololol)

Quick Reply: GREAT upgrade for those crappy headlights!! (photos w/ in)