Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

First Post. Vertical Door Kit.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 10:49 PM

You guys are serious?

4 grand?

You would make your door swing up.

4 grand?

Do you know what else you can do with $4000

From the looks of it, 99% of the time, you would just open your door normally anyway. Only pulling the doors up to show off every now and then.

4 grand?

I dont mean to look like the a$$hole here, but I am now convinced that people will pay ANYTHING to be unique.

Oh, and about the altezzas; You paid FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS to be unique with the doors, but you put the altezzas on to fit in. No, you like the altezzas, you just dont want to be flamed. Im flaming you.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:45 PM

I'd never pay anywhere near 4k for something like that. That wasn't the point for me. I asked for just the hinge kit to see a price. I'd rather have that than a set of wheels everyone and their brother has (see TT2's, y2k's, and abotu every other wheel). I think it's pimp as hell and I'd shell out 800-1k for something like that, yes I would. Of course that would be doing the install myself.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:25 AM

Is it just me, or is that NOT the lambo style doors but some other kind. If I remember correctly, the lambo doors lift straight up and not at an angle like that. I have always wanted to do lambo doors, but thats not even close to what I would do. And there is no way in hell I would pay any where close to $4000 for that. My biggest thing is to be unique, but that car looks like *** if you ask me.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Z-Scrilla
Is it just me, or is that NOT the lambo style doors but some other kind. If I remember correctly, the lambo doors lift straight up and not at an angle like that. I have always wanted to do lambo doors, but thats not even close to what I would do. And there is no way in hell I would pay any where close to $4000 for that. My biggest thing is to be unique, but that car looks like *** if you ask me.

I agree they don't look like real lambo doors that's probably why they are cheaper than what it would usually cost to get that done. They look nice and everything but that's why I always say "when I get an extra 4000 dollars to play with, I'll get them."
But I'm never gonna get 4000 dollars extra so I'm never gonna get them
Old 08-27-2003, 10:32 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but those doors are 'butterfly' or 'gullwing' style doors, which were the style of Lambo doors originally made before they went to staight up and down (like that Cobra), right?
Old 08-27-2003, 01:32 PM

Not "gullwing", only DeLoreans have 'gullwing" doors.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:32 PM

ok I'll correct you..

Gullwing doors go straight UP and OUT
Lambo doors angle up (aka scissor doors, V doors, etc)
Suicide doors just open backwards from the setup now

These are a mixture of Lambo & Gullwing. Those do angle our real bad but I believe that is the only way to install them on our cars.

And can you list out what the $4k went into?

example.
Lambo door kit $2k
Shaved door handles $500
Install Lambo doors $1500

Also are your doors motorized or manual?

B/C IF YOU ASK ME, $4k FOR MANUAL AND YOU SHOULD HAVE GOT A CAN OF LUBE WHILE HE SCREWED YA!!!

Old 08-27-2003, 04:24 PM

Almost looks photoshopped to me.....

Wonder what the quality of the work is inside of the doors, and does it look smooth or hacked??

www.camarocasanova.freeservers.com

"You show against me, you go home upset and angry."
Old 08-28-2003, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by OutlawLS!
Not "gullwing", only DeLoreans have 'gullwing" doors.
Sorry but Mercedes made a gullwing waaaaaaay back.

Any way, those in the pic are considered butterfly opening doors, Lambo's have 'jacknife' doors. Gullwing doors hinge at the roof only.

The door's shape (it's leading and trailing angles) determines if a door can open 'jacknife' style. Butterfly is a compromise for minimal door moding. Look closely at a Lambo, paying particular attention to the door's shape.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:35 AM

CamaroCassonova,
I wouldn't go upset & angry.....I get rid of that at the bar after the car show hahaha
Old 08-28-2003, 11:56 AM

Wink

Hehehe. Drinks are on me!!
Old 08-28-2003, 12:19 PM

Well finally someone got some pics. Although not quite lambo style doors this is definately a start. I would like to see some bigger photos though, I always question small pics. 4 grand does not seem to unreasonable if they are motorized, I will wait for the true lambo style though...the butterfly doors look so so.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:21 PM

Correct, the hinges on my car are not exactly the same as the lamborghini's.

As I said in one of my earlier posts, if you look at the way the fender and the mirror are aerodynamically molded towards one another, you will realize that it would be impossible to put doors on a camaro that swing directly upwards, as you would crush both the fender and the mirror.

The only way to retain the original look of the car and still have doors that open upwards is to swing them out before swinging them up.

And to answer your question, yes, they are automatic. I push a button, it opens.

As for pricing on just the hinge, I have really no idea.. you would have to call the owner of the shop, Ian at 727-216-7878.

The reason that it is 4000 dollars, is that there is over 100-150 hours of work going into putting these hinges on. If you feel that you are good enough at body work then i'm sure you could purchase the hinge itself for 1500-2000 dollars. Just ask Ian.

and yes, 500 of that 4k was for shaving the door handles.

I assume you could get this done for 3500, without the shaved door handles.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:31 PM

CamaroCasanova,

in answer to your question, I don't have pictures of the inside of the door just yet, but I will get you some if you want them. Do you have an email address?

The quality of the work is absolutely superb.. I watched most of these guys work and I couldn't believe some of the steps they were taking to be sure that it retained a "I can't believe that's not factory" look.

It's all painted, bolts into the original hinges bolt holes.. the inner fender has been modified so that it is still reinforced, just at a different angle. (instead of cutting through it and forgetting about it)
Old 08-28-2003, 01:03 PM

Quote - "Oh, and about the altezzas; You paid FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS to be unique with the doors, but you put the altezzas on to fit in. No, you like the altezzas, you just dont want to be flamed. Im flaming you."

Yes, but you forgot to mention my chrome gas tank cover, clear turn signals, and rear side marker lights, 500 dollar custom clear third brake light, (to match the altezza'a) and (even though you can't see it) the blue neon underbody kit, and blue lunar accents in the headlights (that are wired always on)

Of course I like the altezza's.. and yes, I put them on to "fit in" if you call it that.

But don't get me wrong, it gives me no greater pleasure when I see some loser in a honda or acura or other import trash, and I pull up next to him and make him look like an idiot when I leave him in the dust.

Most of those guys don't relate to a "factory" camaro. And why should they? They can't afford them.

I don't see what the big deal is about putting some altezza taillights on a camaro, or putting a big spoiler on it (although I have yet to find one that doesn't look rediculous) or neon lights.

Big deal. It's this kind of thinking that put the camaro into the production line cemetery.

It's big, it's fast, it's comfortable, and a very nice car, but it just doesn't appeal to street kids, and i'll tell you why.

1. Let's watch any street racing movie, do you see a camaro newer than 1975?

2. The price of a new camaro, (with a proper v8) is usually over 22k.

3. As long as you can't afford it, why buy a camaro, when you could have a corvette?

4. There aren't many custom parts for the Camaro, and if there are, it's all engine. (Kid's normal thinking) - "I don't care what it does, I want it to look cool"

So anyway..

I set out to build a car that appeals to the street racer guy who normally buys import cars, for 3000 dollars, and then spends 15k modifying it. (only to still not have as much power as a stock camaro.. so sad)

Thus I can spread joy and wonder and appeal about camaro's to all the young boys and girls all over the happy united states..

the end.

Quick Reply: First Post. Vertical Door Kit.