Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

First Camaro (89) - Restoration Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 04:36 PM

First Camaro (89) - Restoration Questions!

Howdy all! I'm new here, but my name is Josh and I just bought myself a 1989 Chevy Camaro to restore for my birthday (September 20th, if you're curious). It's a Rally Sport model in black with the V6 2.8 liter engine. I've always been interested in cars but have yet to actually delve deeply into them. Next year I'll be going to the tech college for auto repair, but as of now... I know diddly squat. Anyways, mechanically the car is sound except for the transmission that I'll be putting in by the end of October. My questions now are restoration oriented.

First and foremost is the hideous dashboard. It's ripped up and discolored and just plain ugly. Does anyone know what I can do for this? I was curious if there are newer boards I can buy to install, or any way to build my own? This is one ugly dashboard...

Next I'm looking to re-apolster (sp?) pretty much the entire car. I found ways to do the doors at thirdgen.org, but I'm looking to do the entire car as well. Seats and even the back later on. I've got the fabric/materials picked out but I'm just not sure as how to do it proper.

Next is my stereo. Haha... it was horrible! I have an older Pioneer CD player that I'll be using for now until I have the money to put in a newer system with speakers. I know nothing of electronics though, just that the jacks from when I took out the standard casette player are different from the back of my CD player. Are there any guides to install this bad boy?

I'm really looking to do this all myself, to learn more about the car and general restoration tactics. If anyone can help me turn this 3rd Generation beauty into something really special, I'd be most appreciative. Peace.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:00 PM

Well Josh - welcome aboard CamaroZ28.com! (I hear the fish is excellent here. )

First off - I have done a couple of restorations - and the main thing is - just read up on all the articles and magazines you can get that is relevant to what you are looking for. Not only will it tell you how to do stuff - but it will give you excellent ideas.

•Dash•
Your best bet is probably just gonna be to get a complete new dash pad. Where? I have no clue - you're just gonna have to search, but it shouldn't be too hard. There are a lot of Camaro suppliers, so... You might want to look at The Paddock, Year One, and I am drawing a blank on the others.

•Upholstery•
There is a certain amount of this that you can do yourseld with style - then there is some that you just need to have done to get a professional look. There are quite a few places that sell seat covers, so that would take care of you there (Leatherseats.com may sell something for you???) In the upholstery department though - remember - if you are driving this car, that's the part that YOU see the most, so you want it to look good, and be comfortable.

•Stereo•
Having a hard time figuring out exactly what's going on - but I think all you need is one of the adapter kits from Circuit City, Crutchfield.com, or somewhere. It is just a plug that wires up to your car's wiring, and allows you to plug an aftermarket stereo into it. If you have any car audio place around, they will know exactly how to fix you up.

That's all I can type for now - it's past my bedtime and my wife is telling me to get off the computer.

Post any questions I didn't cover - and maybe some other people will chime in here too.

Once again, WELCOME TO THE BOARD!