Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Finished my rear seat delete

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 07:52 PM

Finished my rear seat delete

This weekend I made a rear seat delete kit for my camaro.

It originally came with cloth, that I hated. I bought leather Trans Am seats from a local f-body place, but they only had the fronts...I couldn't really find a nice set of rears anywhere for a reasonable price, so I figured I'd just make something else to go back there...it cost less than $20 (much better than the $200 people ask for rear seats!)

I SUCK at carpentry, like big time. So this took me half a day to make, at least. It looks simple but it's actually kind of time consuming to get it to fit just right...I don't like the look of the seperate seat deletes, it has never looked right to me. I wanted one solid piece to cover the seat indents...I made a couple different templates out of insulation foam, then made the final cut on thin plywood. The final cut ended up being wrong of course...so I had to cut another one. It was also a bit difficult making the part that goes over the driveshaft hump, but I overcame. I used a simple jigsaw for my cuts.

Believe it or not, there was some light gray carpet in my attic that I NEVER knew about until a couple days ago. The color didn't match, but it was the right pile (i.e the same consistency as car carpet). I stapled it around the box...I then dyed the carpet to match. Looks a little spotty in the pix because I am under a tree and its leaves are casting shadows.

Keep in mind I made this to save money, not weight. But, it only weighs 8 lbs so it ends up being a bit less than seats & seatbelts anyway.

Ok ok, I'll shut up now, here's the pictures.

Enjoy my pretty T/A seats.

Notice I put the camaro seat track/side panel on the t/a seat so it plugs right in.

And here's my baby.

Oh and here are my pacesetters that I installed last week.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:57 PM

Re: Finished my rear seat delete

wow...make me one. I'll give you a dollar.

It looks really good man. I need to get off my butt and try this.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:59 PM

Looks good! I always said it could be made cheaper, now someone proved it.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by FerrMaro

It looks really good man. I need to get off my butt and try this.
Woman
Old 09-06-2005, 09:03 PM

It looks good. I'm really tempted to try to get my girlfriends dad to make me one. He's a carpenter and could probably get it right the first time. Where it would take me at least 10x to get it right. I like the TA seats, but i prefer the big head rest ones, although i think they are hard to find. I don't understand why you had to cut use the Camaro tracks. The TA stuff should plug right in, if you have the TA harness.

Last edited by Z95m6; 09-06-2005 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:05 PM

Oh and do you have any problems with the side of your TA seat rubbing on your console? The side bolster on mine rubs on the console and leaves a mark. The console is in the factory holes as well as the TA seats.

Last edited by Z95m6; 09-06-2005 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:07 PM

Looks awesome, job well done!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:21 PM

Great Job! Looks very nice! Ive been meaning to upgrade to the T/A seats myself. There so much more comfortable. Did you have to sacrifice the power lumbar and side bolsters when you put them in the Camaro?
Old 09-06-2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by slayer6x6
Great Job! Looks very nice! Ive been meaning to upgrade to the T/A seats myself. There so much more comfortable. Did you have to sacrifice the power lumbar and side bolsters when you put them in the Camaro?
Not if you get the TA wiring/air tube harness.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
It looks good. I'm really tempted to try to get my girlfriends dad to make me one. He's a carpenter and could probably get it right the first time. Where it would take me at least 10x to get it right. I like the TA seats, but i prefer the big head rest ones, although i think they are hard to find. I don't understand why you had to cut use the Camaro tracks. The TA stuff should plug right in, if you have the TA harness.
I didn't use a t/a harness, because I wasn't interested in the power lumbar. Besides that, the track that came on the t/a seat was rusted and nasty...so I just put my camaro one on...that way it plugged right in and the side panel plugged in too with no unnecessary buttons (since I wasn't using the air lumbar).
Old 09-06-2005, 09:40 PM

looks awesome.

ps. will you marry me?
Old 09-06-2005, 09:40 PM

I miss my power lumbar from my T/A. It helps my crappy lower back on long trips.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyb

ps. will you marry me?
I knew we couldnt go one thread w/o hearing that.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:48 PM

wow..... 4 real you kick *** you have great taste i wish i was home to work on my car how much do you think that weighs compaired to the rear seats? weight really isnt a issue i just dont want people to think they can always ride in the back of my car... NO GO!!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:55 PM

Looks great! That's what I'm gonna make when I have the time. I bought the two seperate ones and installed them this week (pics in the other rear seat delete thread). They look good, but I'm gonna make one like you did, except put storage compartments in it like the ones I just bought have. I designed something like that about a year ago, I'm just too lazy to get around to building it...maybe some day. Anyway, great job!

Quick Reply: Finished my rear seat delete