Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Engine caps/covers, blue to green?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 02:20 PM

Engine caps/covers, blue to green?

I am thinking about having all of my misc MBA aluminum parts re-anodized from blue to green. I pretty much have every cap/cover that they make, all in blue. The only polished parts being the fuse box, dipstick handle, and the fan shroud. Over the years I have tried to compliment the detailing with an equal amount of polished and blue anodized parts. I know this is not really that big of a deal to most, but for me it is a huge decision. So, I was thinking just to be a little different, have them done in green and keep the polished parts, polished. My car is blue-green chameleon (mystic teal) and have thought that the blue may not be that good of a match. I think of my car as more green than blue. Would you guys consider it over kill? Too much green? I am going to the anodizer w/ a paint sample to see if perhaps he could mix it up such that the parts are more of a teal. Opinions?
Old 03-14-2004, 03:26 PM

Instead of anodizing these specific parts why not have them painted with the same chameleon paint so instead of partially matching your exterior (blue or green anodizing) they will perfectly match. Just an idea, what do you think. BTW I love your car, very nice.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by bigdreamZ
Instead of anodizing these specific parts why not have them painted with the same chameleon paint so instead of partially matching your exterior (blue or green anodizing) they will perfectly match. Just an idea, what do you think.
I have thought of painting them, but wasn't sure how the paint would hold up to the heat of the engine compartment. Plus the paint would match in color, but not necessarily in finish; the paint being dull in the engine bay and glossy on the exterior. But it is definitely a thought. I recently picked up an extra SLP CAI that I plan on stripping and painting to match, we'll see...

BTW I love your car, very nice.
Thanks...
Old 03-15-2004, 01:53 PM

I think the paint would hold up fine, people paint other parts in the engine bay like STBs and Fuel Rail Covers. As for the finish, you could always go over them with clear to get them looking just as nice and glossy as the exterior. Maybe even some high temp clear for added insurance? I would definately look into that as I am sure it would come out very nice. If you are selling your GMPP cai PLEASE let me know as I have no CAI right now and that is the one I am looking to buy. Good luck.

-Sean