Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Does anyone have LED exterior lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 03:44 PM

Does anyone have LED exterior lights?

I'd really like to get LEDs for my turn signals. Problem is, the way they're designed, you can't see them very easily or they look like a concentrated light in the center of the lens.

Anyone sucessfully installed LEDs for the turn signals or brake lights?
Old 08-03-2003, 08:46 AM

I have tried putting LED brake light bulbs, and they burnt out almost instantly. So I didn't do it again. Maybe I just did something wrong, but unlikely.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:27 AM

I bought the ARC (not sure) brake light LED's and it fried part of my harness immediatly! So I won't go that route again. I did the interior LED's though.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:19 AM

I have LED bulbs in my clear rear corners. They look great, very bright, and a very sharp red color.

I was curious about them light pattern as well, but once I put them in and tried them out, I was very happy.

I also have clear front corners, however when I bought them LED lights were hard to find and expensive, so they just have normal colored bulbs. These are much more difficult to see and I plan to upgrade these to LED one day.

I purchased my LED bulbs from myer_the_buyer on Ebay. These are the bulbs that I puchased. Note: That auction is for 6 bulbs. You can check out his Ebay Store here. He has a website, but it will not be ready for orders until the end of July. Check out that website here. No, I am not in any way affiliated with myer_the_buyer or blazinleds.com. I am simply posting this information because I know that there are MANY cheap LEDs out there, and sorting through all the garbage to find a quality part can be difficult. I was very happy with my purchase and product from myer_the_buyer and I would highly reccomend purchasing from him.

Later
Old 08-04-2003, 08:38 PM

I sucsessfuly instaled all the int/ext led bulbs on my wifes VW and I'll tell you - some of them where a real b!tch to do. I haven't tryed the exterior on my Z but as far as I found out here is a list of the problems on the european cars. I used 3 types of bulbs (4-194 $1+ each, 2 - 1156 $10+ each & 4 - 1157 $10+ each)

1. Very hard to fit into the sockets coz they are deeper then the bulb's bottom part. So I had to do a bit of the adjustments with the exacto knife

2. Sinse all regular bulbs have a different resistance I had to buy special convertor http://superlumination.com/images/le..._equalizer.jpg ($7 each) which actualy made them work. I had a whole bunch of info on what resistor I needed but since I was to lazy to got to the store and do the whole thing myself - $28 made it all happen.

3. I used all the ultra white bulbs which are realy nice at night but the day time you cant even see them flashing from 10ft

4. It still does "turbo blinker" thing (twice faster then usual blinking). Oh well - f**k it.

that's all I can remember for now. So here is the conclution - other then the price which came to ~ $90 and the bunch of headake which makes it simply not worthy. I have all int bulbs on my Z which was fun to do and came to about $30 all together. But again it was a german car which might be a difference.
So good luck to who ever whant to do it - and please keep us posted.

Alex
If anyone needs more info - email me