Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Cover interior pieces in leather?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 02:13 PM

Cover interior pieces in leather?

I was thinking of redoing my interior on my 94 Z. I want to have that top vinyl and carpet part of the door wrapped in red leather and to have the entire center console/tape holder/radio trim are to be wrapped in red leather so it looks like one solid piece. Also I want to have the glove box and the area under the steering wheel covered in leather too. Anyone ever done this? I seem to recall someone saying something about it but i cant remember. I want to make sure i like the look before i do it. Also, if anyone has done this, how much did it cost? Let me know what you think and any links or suggestions thanks.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:59 PM

this isn't my car, but I'm guessing this is what you're talking about......... scroll down to the TA with the grey/white leather interior

http://community.webshots.com/album/44059548CtmoEm
Old 03-08-2003, 12:02 PM

Sort of....but not really what i was thinking. I want to cover the entire center console up to and including the radio trim, then carry the leather over and cover the lower part of the dash. Then the doors. Also black carpet and red/black seats and im not sure about the headliner yet.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:05 AM

HOLY CRAP!

That TA looks IN-FREAKIN-CREDIBLE!!! I just sat here and drooled for a little while. I am in awe. Leather...Wood...That is totally the look of someone who wants to drive a muscle car...but understands the meaning of the word "luxury". Do you know the person who did that personally?! I'd be interested to know the process and how much it set them back. Man..my compliments.

-Mike
Old 02-21-2005, 05:27 AM

Re: Cover interior pieces in leather?

Ditto... anyone have any info?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:02 AM

Bump.. and wonder.. So whats involved covering all the interior pieces with leather?

Assuming you already got it precut?

Do you basically take all the pieces, sand it down, then apply special glue and lay the leather on top of it?

How about the mid bezel peices on the dash? like around the radio and stuff.. what do you think would look right? Or you think you can cover that too?

Although then you have to worry about thickness? Does leather "squeek?" when rubbing together?

How about the passanger ABS flap? Any special considerations on getting that rectangle with leather on top(or you can't?)? I'm guessing you probably can't really cover the steering wheel bag either..

Are there any books on this?

or how much would labor cost to get a shop to do this? (probably really expensive huh?)

and if you have to cut the leather yourself... I guess thats like another world of sewing and stitching huh?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:03 AM

We did the whole interior, shaving things and covering with white leather

www.camarocasanova.freeservers.com
Old 02-22-2005, 11:18 AM

Yea, your Camaro looks real nice..

I'd love to have something similar, thinking of using two colors for top and bottom. (I also have a 99, so the dash is differnet)

I can't tell in the pic, but what did you use on the little bezel pieces like the piece behind interior door handle opener? And also the plastic around that - is that painted or covered in leather too?
Old 02-22-2005, 12:02 PM

Some of the interior pieces were painted, as were parts of the door. People have been painting interiors professionally out here for about the past 2 years-basically a body shop preps and paints the parts with actual car paint not rattle can paint, which makes it look like a plastic bumper say in appearance. Looks real cool. I am currently getting all of the pieces together to have an entire painted interior instead of leather. It definately would look good in your car to two tone it I think.

Steve
Old 02-22-2005, 02:30 PM

sounds good.. I'm just brewing up ideas right now, hopefully in a year or two I can actually get started on it all. (figure I should handle the exterior body panels and painting at the same time so I don't have to strip the interior twice)

either that or I may do something similar to my 2004 Black Avalanche (with no body armor) Thinking soemthing like black leather dash top, then perhaps if possible a more "richer" flat black painted look for the bezel mid dash and other plastic pieces.. Bottom part of the dash would be tan leather, with tan leather seat inserts, doors inserts/accents, and matching tan headliner.. with jet black carpeting.. for some contrast..

Originally Posted by CamaroCasanova
Some of the interior pieces were painted, as were parts of the door. People have been painting interiors professionally out here for about the past 2 years-basically a body shop preps and paints the parts with actual car paint not rattle can paint, which makes it look like a plastic bumper say in appearance. Looks real cool. I am currently getting all of the pieces together to have an entire painted interior instead of leather. It definately would look good in your car to two tone it I think.

Steve
Old 02-24-2005, 12:35 PM

Your right the leather is just glued to the plastic pieces.
You can buy it from a place like this; http://tandyleather.com/ and DIY. Or have it done. The thinner the leather the easier it is to work with, but of course it won't last as long. If you go to thick, you won't get the pieces back in place right.
Get some scraps and practice on some junk parts.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
Your right the leather is just glued to the plastic pieces.
You can buy it from a place like this; http://tandyleather.com/ and DIY. Or have it done. The thinner the leather the easier it is to work with, but of course it won't last as long. If you go to thick, you won't get the pieces back in place right.
Get some scraps and practice on some junk parts.
I know this post is old now but i'm researching this idea. I'm trying to figure out how a flat piece of leather conforms to the odd shapes and curves of the various panels that i'd like to do. I don't want any wrinkles, creases, bubbles...ect.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by HotwhipT/A
I know this post is old now but i'm researching this idea. I'm trying to figure out how a flat piece of leather conforms to the odd shapes and curves of the various panels that i'd like to do. I don't want any wrinkles, creases, bubbles...ect.
A heat gun to allow the leather to stretch , upolstery adhesive , patience .....and talent