Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

corner light removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:15 PM

corner light removal

i just got some new corner lights, and am trying to install them. I found out how to remove them, but its not working for me. i got all of the screws out, and the housing is definitely loose. but i can't seem to get it out of the cradle sort of thing. I've tried twisting and tilting it every way i can think of, with no success. Its an 02, if that makes any difference. Anybody got any suggestions? thanks
Old 04-17-2011, 07:33 PM

Re: corner light removal

If you have taken all three screws completely out of each one, they should come out fairly easily. If any rocking is needed, it should be minimal. I pulled a set off a junkyard car completely blind without an issue, so I'm not sure why yours are being difficult. Try to pull the rear of the housing upward and they should pop right out.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by TD95Z
If you have taken all three screws completely out of each one, they should come out fairly easily. If any rocking is needed, it should be minimal. I pulled a set off a junkyard car completely blind without an issue, so I'm not sure why yours are being difficult. Try to pull the rear of the housing upward and they should pop right out.
ive spent a total of 2 hours over 2 days pulling up in every way i could think of. the inner part cant come out after being pulled up because of the bumper impact absorber (the gray foamy thing), and the outer part cant swing out because of a metal bar thing...not quite sure what thats for. was the car you got them off an 02? maybe mine is just "special"
Old 04-18-2011, 07:37 AM

I'll have to look at the 99 and see if I can figure out the issue. My personal car is a 94 TA, but I have a 99 Camaro at my disposal that I can look at/try this on. I seem to recall a small black bar that was used to brace either the fender or one of the lights on the 98-02 cars, but it's been awhile since I had the bumper off. By the way, you are trying to take these out from underneath the car, right?
Old 04-18-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by TD95Z
I'll have to look at the 99 and see if I can figure out the issue. My personal car is a 94 TA, but I have a 99 Camaro at my disposal that I can look at/try this on. I seem to recall a small black bar that was used to brace either the fender or one of the lights on the 98-02 cars, but it's been awhile since I had the bumper off. By the way, you are trying to take these out from underneath the car, right?
yeah, i think thats the bar thats keeping the outer edge for swinging out. and yes, i started from underneath. when i had no luck, i also took off the headlight to see if that helped. it didnt...
Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 AM

bump. TD95Z, if you know what taking off that black bar entails, please let me know. thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by rv93
yeah, i think thats the bar thats keeping the outer edge for swinging out. and yes, i started from underneath. when i had no luck, i also took off the headlight to see if that helped. it didnt...
I came in here to post this- that by taking the headlight out, you should be able to see what you are doing, and have plenty of room.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wild *****
I came in here to post this- that by taking the headlight out, you should be able to see what you are doing, and have plenty of room.
i have no problem seeing. it just wont fit...thanks for your input though
Old 04-19-2011, 05:32 PM

Take your headlights out, it will make it much easier, just unplug the bulbs, take out the 1 bolt for each headlight and then slide the light housing inward and it pops right out, the corner lights are right there under the headlights.

I didn;t know this when I put my Clear corners in and I ended up cracking the bumpr getting them out from the bottom.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:50 PM

i did. theres just this stupid black bar on the outside keeping it from swinging out
Old 04-21-2011, 12:28 PM

rv93.....take out the headlights like ***** said
Old 04-21-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by rv93
i did. theres just this stupid black bar on the outside keeping it from swinging out
weird, I believe there are 2 or more bolts for each light, be sure you have all of them out. You may have to bend the bumper a bit, that's how i cracked my bumper getting my lights out.

I dont think anyone knows what black bar you are talking about, can you post a photo?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Evolution223
weird, I believe there are 2 or more bolts for each light, be sure you have all of them out. You may have to bend the bumper a bit, that's how i cracked my bumper getting my lights out.

I dont think anyone knows what black bar you are talking about, can you post a photo?
im pretty sure if i bend it any more, itll crack. it sounded like TD95Z knew what i was talking about. i have to take some things off to take a picture of the bar, but i will do that this weekend. thanks for the tip.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:50 PM

ok, so decided to stop being so stubborn, and tried taking them out from the top. turns out the trick is bending the bumper up a bit right under the headlights. so even though i didnt need the extra visibility afforded by taking out the headlights, it gave me the flexibility i needed. i got the new lights installed, no problem. thanks for being so insistent, guys!