Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Convertable Rear Window

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 05:57 PM

Convertable Rear Window

The rear window in my convertable is coming off of the fabric. anyone have any ideas of how to fix it?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 06-24-2003, 12:38 AM

You have to replace the rear window assembly to fix it right. From what I understand, the entire top has to be removed, a new window assembly put in, and the top reinstalled after that

-Shawn
Old 06-24-2003, 10:58 AM

I had the same problem with the top of the window on mine and I came up with a very good fix. I cleaned all the surfaces with rubbing alcohol and made sure that they were both free of any debris. Then I partially opened the top to releive the tension on the cloth and the window. I then put about a 1/16 to an 1/8 inch bead of silicone glue on the window. Then I pressed the cloth to the window starting on one side and SLOWLY worked my way across--making sure that it sealed properly. I spent about 20 minutes in the back seat of my car pressing the cloth to the window also making sure I worked out any bubbles. After it dried (I let it sit for a day) I removed all excess silicone glue on the inside and outside (VERY carefully with a razorblade.) The result looked exactly like the factory seal except I had a small hairline mark where the factory seal met my seal which I'm sure I could fix should I have to do it another time. I even water tested it by spraying it with the garden hose for about 10 minutes (point blank) to make sure that it would not come apart or leak and it passed with flying colors. I've had that fix for 2 months now and it is still holding up. It does not look like a some kind of ghetto-rigged fix or anything like that--it looks very professional in my opinion. If you want some pics--I'll go home tonight and take some and email them to you or post them on my CarDomain site so you can see how it looks. Hope this helps everyone that has had this problem.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:14 PM

I would really like to see some pics Email

Thanks,
Eric
Old 06-24-2003, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by RazorsharpZ
I would really like to see some pics Email

Thanks,
Eric
Sent you an email.

If anyone else would like to view it, go here and scroll to the bottom.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:24 PM

I had the same problem with not just my camaro but also a Spyder that I had. I fixed it the same way as above only used Goop. It cures very quickly and looks just fine.