Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Clear Corners and DRLs Just Don't Get Along,.,..,.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 03:07 PM

Clear Corners and DRLs Just Don't Get Along,.,..,.

If you have DRLs and get the Clear Corners, whether they be diamond or regular, it WILL warp!!! I am on my third set. The first two were regular, so you cant seen thru to the lens much. But the 2nd set, it burnt rite thru one day from water leaking in and all.

The 3rd/current set is Diamond Clear. I drilled a couple of tiny holes on hidden locations to try to dissipate the heat to prevent warping.

Then I found out was leaking water in because a few weeks after the install it rained and water got in and you can see it!! I put RTV silicon around the already warping bulb inlet and all over the entire assembly, but water still gets in.

I LOVE the clear lens, but the damn DRLs are warping the cheap plastic. I took a look at my stock ones, had them "on" for 9 months and still looks good, as it should, since it's factory.

just thought I shared that,.,.,hehe
Old 11-28-2002, 05:07 PM

Thumbs up

I have the diamond clears and haven't noticed any type of leaking/warping at all. Had mine on for about a year now. Good luck!
Old 11-28-2002, 10:52 PM

You just need to go to a lower wattage bulb like an M3 for the 3157 or you could just buy led bulbs they dont make heat at all
Old 11-28-2002, 11:11 PM

dang that sucks man...

and do what he said bout the bulbs....

good luck
Old 11-29-2002, 05:46 AM

I am glad I read this. So I need low wattage bulbs or LEDs?
Old 11-29-2002, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by AW/whiteZ-28
You just need to go to a lower wattage bulb like an M3 for the 3157 or you could just buy led bulbs they dont make heat at all
Eh? Do Lite Emitting Diodes have a two filament effect???
Old 11-29-2002, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by F1GT
Eh? Do Lite Emitting Diodes have a two filament effect???
I have no idea if they do i havent got leds in my turn signals
all i know is you need an electronic flasher for it to work properly

Magyver If i were you i would go buy the leds and an electronic flasher that way you dont run the risk of melting another set
with lower wattage bulbs (they might not work)
also it's gonna look better because leds are clear when they are off, so no amber color is gonna be reflected when you have you lights off so that will make it really clean looking...
Old 11-29-2002, 06:46 PM

Re: Clear Corners and DRLs Just Don't Get Along,.,..,.

Originally posted by F1GT
If you have DRLs and get the Clear Corners, whether they be diamond or regular, it WILL warp!!! I am on my third set. The first two were regular, so you cant seen thru to the lens much. But the 2nd set, it burnt rite thru one day from water leaking in and all.

The 3rd/current set is Diamond Clear. I drilled a couple of tiny holes on hidden locations to try to dissipate the heat to prevent warping.

Then I found out was leaking water in because a few weeks after the install it rained and water got in and you can see it!! I put RTV silicon around the already warping bulb inlet and all over the entire assembly, but water still gets in.

I LOVE the clear lens, but the damn DRLs are warping the cheap plastic. I took a look at my stock ones, had them "on" for 9 months and still looks good, as it should, since it's factory.

just thought I shared that,.,.,hehe
What kinda bulbs were u running in there
Old 12-02-2002, 01:31 PM

Re: Re: Clear Corners and DRLs Just Don't Get Along,.,..,.

Originally posted by pu12en12g
What kinda bulbs were u running in there
3157s,,,,STOCK!!!
Old 12-02-2002, 05:00 PM

I have the same issue with the bulbs... The Diamond Clear Corners look nice, but the plastic sucks. I've had constant problems with water leaking, even after siliconing the entire thing. The heat from the bulbs discolors and warps the plastic around the bulb mount. On one of them, it's warped enough to crack the plastic at the base of the bulb. I've used several different bulbs trying to find a happy medium. Everything from hyper-white bulbs (@55 watt) to the stock bulbs, to expensive aftermarket bulbs at specialty shops. No solution for me yet..
Old 12-03-2002, 04:23 AM

Originally posted by JDHarris
I have the same issue with the bulbs... The Diamond Clear Corners look nice, but the plastic sucks. I've had constant problems with water leaking, even after siliconing the entire thing. The heat from the bulbs discolors and warps the plastic around the bulb mount. On one of them, it's warped enough to crack the plastic at the base of the bulb. I've used several different bulbs trying to find a happy medium. Everything from hyper-white bulbs (@55 watt) to the stock bulbs, to expensive aftermarket bulbs at specialty shops. No solution for me yet..
I feel ya, but man 55 watts?? Stock is 27 watts.....So did you go back to stock corners or are you on your "X" th set???
Old 12-03-2002, 12:28 PM

At first I didn't use the 55 watt bulbs. I kept blowing throught the hyper-white bulbs about 3 times a week, so first thought was that the bulbs were too low wattage, so I bought the higher wattage bulbs to eliminate that possibility. The new ones worked but they explode on contact with water, so that was no good. Only had those in there for about a week (first car wash). So I still have the clear corners in there, but I'm using the stock bulb (white one, not the amber one). The hyperwhites looked infinitely better, but I haven't found a really good bulb. I just want a stock type bulb that puts out a white light. Seems simple, it's not.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by JDHarris
At first I didn't use the 55 watt bulbs. I kept blowing throught the hyper-white bulbs about 3 times a week, so first thought was that the bulbs were too low wattage, so I bought the higher wattage bulbs to eliminate that possibility. The new ones worked but they explode on contact with water, so that was no good. Only had those in there for about a week (first car wash). So I still have the clear corners in there, but I'm using the stock bulb (white one, not the amber one). The hyperwhites looked infinitely better, but I haven't found a really good bulb. I just want a stock type bulb that puts out a white light. Seems simple, it's not.
Uhhh WTF ... so are you saying that your diamond clears Melted / Warped as well ? Or not....
Old 12-03-2002, 02:13 PM

Yes, mine melted too. It says that in the first post. Somebody asked for clarification on the bulbs I was using, so I was providing the information and the reason. Mine have melted/warped around the bulb mounting and on one of them the housing has cracked by the bulb mounting. This all happened using the stock bulbs during the first few months of having them. Then I switched to the hyperwhites, but kept blowing them, then I went to the higher wattage bulb, they burnt out every time I washed the car (they got wet), so now I'm back to the stock bulbs. They are a bit hotter than the hyperwhites, but they don't burn out as often. I'd rather spend the $55/year to replace the housings then the $10/week to replace the bulbs.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:36 PM

i was wanting clear corners for my black 98. does everyone have this problem or just a few? i was planning on buying the stock bulb only in amber. also when lit does the clears light up fully orange as the stock corners do or do they have some spots that dont light so you have partialy lit corners

Quick Reply: Clear Corners and DRLs Just Don't Get Along,.,..,.