Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

center console swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 01:46 PM

center console swap

I have a 95 z28 and I was wanting to swap to a newer 97+ (i think) center console (more cup holders). I have an automatic. Has anyone done this? If so does it leave any gaps or anything? What modifications need to be done to give it a stock look? Thanks in advance
Old 03-16-2005, 02:03 PM

Re: center console swap

You will have a gap where the old "cassette holder" was, but there are various ways to fill that in. I think you just have to drill a few holes in the newer console's mounting tabs to make them line up with the old bolt pattern, but nothing major.

I have an Ebony automatic '98+ console BTW that I would sell.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:19 PM

What are some of the ways people are filling that gap? and how much do you want for the console?
Old 03-16-2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by creeper1982
What are some of the ways people are filling that gap? and how much do you want for the console?
Some people leave the gap and it doesn't bother them, some cover the exposed wires with black cloth. It bugged me enough i made my own little CD holder to fit in there. I then shortly after switched to my Trans Am dash which fits perfect with the new console.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:02 PM

I haven't looked under the console yet but what wires does the gap expose? Can they be rerouted under the carpet? If not how much of a pain was it to switch to the TA dash? Was it the whole entire dash? Any pics of the cd holder? Did you just feel in the old cd hole? Sorry for all the questions but that one little cup holder(that's to shallow) is really getting annoying. Thanks again
Old 03-16-2005, 04:12 PM

I haven't looked under the console yet but what wires does the gap expose? Can they be rerouted under the carpet? If not how much of a pain was it to switch to the TA dash? Was it the whole entire dash? Any pics of the cd holder? Did you just feel in the old cd hole? Sorry for all the questions but that one little cup holder(that's to shallow) is really getting annoying. Thanks again
There are some wires that go to the console that are exposed and i believe there is another big harness that is kind of visible with the old console gone. You can also see the old console bracket and a black bracket of the dash. It was kind of a PITA to install the TA dash. It took me about 5-6 hrs. The norm is 4-6 hrs. It took me forever to get the old Camaro dash out. Here is the guide i used for the swap. http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/memberpage/345879/3
Its kind of and expensive swap. The dash i got was given to me by a guy but some people pay $500 for everything. To me it would still be worth it. There was a guy in the for sale forum selling a complete 97 dash and all the pieces minus the cluster for like $280 if i remember which if you ask me that is a pretty good deal. We all remember how crappy those old consoles are. The hinge is always broke, the cup holders are useless. The CD's allways fly out on acceleration. Just total garbage.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:54 PM

Yes the consoles are crap lol. That is a little bit more than I was wanting to spend on a new console.Plus I like the rest of my dash just that console has go to go. You mentioned something about a custom cd holder or cd player holder did it cover all exposed wires and brackets? I was wanting to make one myself but I sort of would like a good starting base to look at so if you have any pictures or any tips on makeing it that would help alot. This is my plan to move my cd player down to cover all the exposed wires and brackets, then in the slot where my cd player is I am going to put my boost gauge and A/F meter there. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:24 PM

Yes the consoles are crap lol. That is a little bit more than I was wanting to spend on a new console.Plus I like the rest of my dash just that console has go to go. You mentioned something about a custom cd holder or cd player holder did it cover all exposed wires and brackets? I was wanting to make one myself but I sort of would like a good starting base to look at so if you have any pictures or any tips on makeing it that would help alot. This is my plan to move my cd player down to cover all the exposed wires and brackets, then in the slot where my cd player is I am going to put my boost gauge and A/F meter there. Thanks for all the help.
I have pics on my home PC of the CD holder. I'm up at college so i won't have pics until this weekend. Here is an install guide that shows the gap and what you can see. http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/console.htm
I use to love my old dash too but my friend with a 97Z always ragged on it. Eventually he made me hate it. With the new dash it doesn't make my car seem so old and out dated. The older dash seems like something out of the late 80's early 90's.