Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Can I just get the nose of my car painted?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 09:13 PM

Question Can I just get the nose of my car painted?

When I bought my camaro, the nose of the car had a lot of paint chipped off. Can I just get the nose painted or do I have to paint the entire car? How much would both cost and who does a good job? Thanks.

Last edited by TXz28; 03-26-2003 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Certainly!

I've had it done a couple times. You'll want them to paint the entire front piece and remove the blinkers instead of taping around them.

Typical price to do this is $200 to $300.

Specialties By Chuck around the corner from me would do an excellent job for you but I don't expect you want to drive to Florida to have this done
Old 03-26-2003, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by Brent94Z
...You'll want them to paint the entire front piece and remove the blinkers instead of taping around them....
Hey Brent,

I'm going to get this done too. Can everything else be taped off? IE, the headlights and fogs? I'm going to pull the front nose emblem off though. I figure that would be easiest for that little piece.

E
Old 03-27-2003, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

It all depends on how good of job you want to be honest. The guy I use now would TAKE IT OFF completely and paint it on a stand to ensure the best possible job. Most won't want to go to that extreme even though it isn't all that difficult.

For the fog lights, I'd take them off and remove the brackets. If they can't get a gun in there then they can't get a nice smooth finish up in there.

General rule is to remove rather than tape anything you can. The guys who want to save a buck need to weigh how much more a shop will charge to do this. Heck, if it were my car, I'd remove all that crap first and take it in... that way you are ensured they don't try to shortcut you
Old 03-27-2003, 07:46 AM

Or better yet, remove the bumper cover and take it to them. Your car may not be driveable for 2 or 3 days but that will save you on labor charges.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:56 AM

I recently had my front bumper and hood reshot along with reclear coat of the front fenders and mirrors. I had it done for $600 and it looks great. I am very pleased with how well they matched the paint.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:29 AM

My car isnt even a year old yet and I will need to have this done too. But I have a question since i have Mettallic paint. Does this mean I have to have the fenders and hood painted too so it will match? (I hope not) I remember reading this in another thread somewhere for metallic paints. Also I have paint chips in my door from an egg that was thrown at it, will that require my whole door to be painted? The chips are all the way through the paint, but its a small area.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Z28-CTYHNTR
My car isnt even a year old yet and I will need to have this done too. But I have a question since i have Mettallic paint. Does this mean I have to have the fenders and hood painted too so it will match? (I hope not) I remember reading this in another thread somewhere for metallic paints. Also I have paint chips in my door from an egg that was thrown at it, will that require my whole door to be painted? The chips are all the way through the paint, but its a small area.
There's a good chance it won't match so that might be necessary.

Heck, I have a black car and paid $500 for just the front bumper cover and the ****IN! bastards couldn't even match it.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Z28-CTYHNTR
If you are picky you'll most likey need to have the fenders and hood blended. This is a "for sure" thing. However, with today's paints and technology for paint matching, there is a chance that just painting the front will give you a decent match. This is something you should talk with your paint/body guy about and get his opinion. Some are more willing to put more effort into getting it to match and this can get it closer or if they are lucky even damn near perfect. However, IMO, it is hit and miss and even the best painters can have difficulty in matching these metallic paints when they have to match up to adjoining panels.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:56 AM

Well thanks for answering my questions. I guess I will have to spend a little more for painting the fasica because I definitely want it to look perfect. Damn metallic paints...
Old 03-28-2003, 10:23 AM

I got the front end of my Bird painted back in July. Cost me $400, and that was an EXCELLENT job. The new paint job looks better than the stock one. BTW, anyone ever notice that GM's black (could be just mine) almost has a hint of BROWN in it? Because after looking at the black on my new hood and repainted front, the stock paint looks brown. Hmmm, I dunno.

Nate