Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

california window tint questions, got ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 09:42 PM

california window tint questions, got ticket!

Live in california, just got pulled over by CHP today and got written up for a laundry list of crap: side window tint (limo), front/back blackouts, back brake lights broken, modified exhaust, and registration tabs. Reg. tabs and exhaust are bull$hit, exhaust is legal and I forgot the "month" tab on my new liciense plate. Ba$tards. I'll deal with the other stuff, my questions are on tinted windows in california:
1. what is the fine amount for tinted window violation in CA? (26708a)
2. what is the legal amount of tint for side and back windows in CA?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2003, 12:29 AM

In California, you are not allowed to have any tint on the front windows (drivers or front passengers). You can have a strip with a maximum width of 5" from the top of your front windshield. You can have tint as dark as you want on the rear or on rear passenger windows. I got the same ticket about a year ago on my car. I just removed the tint, got the ticket written off and got the tint put back on. Cost $10 to have the ticket written off. I'm not sure how far it goes before it gets to this, but I've heard that if you have tickets such as the tint one that you don't get taken care of, they can put a hold on your registration until you have it fixed. That may be BS, I haven't verified it, but It's easier just to have it signed off.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:55 AM

As far as the rear you can paint the darn thing if you want but...you have to have a drivers and a passenger side mirror. I may be wrong but thats what it used to be and I think its still the same..

Z~
Old 03-25-2003, 05:34 PM

I think it depends on where you get the ticket in California. I was ticketed in Thousand Oaks and was just fined, I didn't have to remove the tint. It was a few years ago but I think I paid $75.

I don't know how long you've lived in Santa Barbara, but I think the city must like to ticket that stuff to make $$. I've been ticketed twice there for no front plate. Once, the car was parked in a parking garage with the front right next to a wall. They had to go well out of their way to find I didn't have a front plate.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:24 AM

Called the court today and found out the fine for tinted window violation will be $95 dollars, FYI. Also, I got a quote for $30 to remove the side window tint, not bad. As a side note, I also found out the the CHP officer wrote me up for the WRONG exhaust violation, as an uncorretable violation instead of the corretable one he meant to write. Christ, and the kicker is the damn exhaust is LEGAL in the first place. Now I have to waste MY time sorting out this BS that shouldn't have been issued at all. Figures
Old 04-08-2003, 11:13 AM

Here's the thing: Get the tint removed. Go to CHP and have them write it off. It should not cost a thing. Usually, the local cops charge $10 to write off on one. The court will then charge you $10 fee for the fix-it ticket. Now, the exhaust part is different. The cop PURPOSELY wrote it as not fixable. He is trying to bone you here. Had that done to me before. You need to get yourself a california vehicle code book. Look up the section on exhaust. Make sure you are armed to fight the cop with all of the codes. A couple of questions to ask him "Are you an expert in decible levels, and did you have a decible meter present at the time of the alleged violation?" And "Did you have me rev it to see how loud it was?" etc. I had that happen to me and I whooped the cops as* in court. You have to be smart, well-spoken, and have evidence to counter the claim. Also, contact your exhaust company and see if they might be able to help. I had flowmaster on my car at the time and they gave me a letter to help my cause.
Nothing like getting boned.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:03 AM

I see so many vehicles in Ca with tinted windows I think that the one's who get ticketed got a cop who was having a bad day. Some front's are so dark you can't see anything. I think this law was so the police could see what the driver and passenger are doing if they get pulled over, Gangsters with guns? To many peple were probable shot and killed and families sued over this bacause the officer couldn't see there hands. This is just my thought on this, but I think those are the reasons. I hate Ca and all there stupid laws.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:49 AM

San Jose, CA - Santa Clara Street by 1st St & 2nd.

I forgot to roll down my windows going down santa clara st downtown. I got pulled over on saturday night for no front plate and tinted side windows. hee-hee! I was actually wondering when i was going to get pulled over cuz they were so dark. lol! I have the back dark *** heck, pretty much black. Well, i'll be getting the tint on the sides taken off and my ticket written off. No sweat! I'll just get the sides tinted again and this time I'll make sure I roll down my windows when im driving downtown.
The thing is....just roll down your windows at night. Thats what Im ganna do next time, stoopid me. I'll add this ticket to my collection, I think im at 12+ fixit tickets. LOL! Just for that I'm going to get me some SLP Loudmouth Exhaust. ha ha.

As far as the ticket, fix-it's have no fine from what I know of. Maybe a couple dollars processing fee. I've never heard of being fined for a fix-it but then again what the heck do I know...lol

BTW, Casanova good post with the axhaust info. Your a smarty pants...wish I was that prepared when I got my L's taken away for a year. I have it back now tho...neener-neener coper!
Old 08-11-2003, 02:11 PM

f*** CALI I HATE THIS STATE

PS sorrey venting
Old 08-11-2003, 03:04 PM

Yep, cops here will pull you over for one thing, then stick it in you *** for a bunch of other bullsh1t. They are putting more and more effort with traffic violations instead of where they need it, like the everyday stabbings, shootings, and the meth labs on every corner in Sacramento
Old 08-11-2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by Ferocity02
Yep, cops here will pull you over for one thing, then stick it in you *** for a bunch of other bullsh1t. They are putting more and more effort with traffic violations instead of where they need it, like the everyday stabbings, shootings, and the meth labs on every corner in Sacramento
True, true
Old 08-11-2003, 07:10 PM

Once I get my Dodge Diplomat (police car) going, im ganna pull over a cop and cite him for having jelly and milk stains on his mustache. I'll explain to him that I dont think he's a safe driver with that jelly doughnut in his hand. Especially that cofee in between his legs. lol
Old 08-11-2003, 07:45 PM

i hate this state too. i thought cali was suppose to be the richest state in US. but how come we have a huge deficit in our budget?? weird

btw, i just a ticket for window tinting and modified exhaust when driving my GF civic
Old 08-12-2003, 01:56 AM

Thought I'd let you guys know what happened with the ticket. Went to court, showed them pics of how I removed the tint, and the judge dismissed the violation. Judge reduced the exhaust violation to $20 (from $100) after I explained how the state does not have the decibel testing stations they are supposed to operational yet, as per law a few years ago. The whole ticket cost me $30, thanks to a reasonable judge.

As for the tint, the car is a lot hotter now with no tint on the sides. When I move to Phoenix in a few months, I'll get the sides retinted as the law there is 35% on the sides. I think I'll get the rear hatch done in limo again, as I went lighter (either 20% or 35%?) when I had it redone due to peeling. I'll finally be rid of CA and all it's expensive, bull$hit laws!
Old 08-12-2003, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by CamaroCasanova
Here's the thing: Get the tint removed. Go to CHP and have them write it off. It should not cost a thing. Usually, the local cops charge $10 to write off on one. The court will then charge you $10 fee for the fix-it ticket. Now, the exhaust part is different. The cop PURPOSELY wrote it as not fixable. He is trying to bone you here. Had that done to me before. You need to get yourself a california vehicle code book. Look up the section on exhaust. Make sure you are armed to fight the cop with all of the codes. A couple of questions to ask him "Are you an expert in decible levels, and did you have a decible meter present at the time of the alleged violation?" And "Did you have me rev it to see how loud it was?" etc. I had that happen to me and I whooped the cops as* in court. You have to be smart, well-spoken, and have evidence to counter the claim. Also, contact your exhaust company and see if they might be able to help. I had flowmaster on my car at the time and they gave me a letter to help my cause.
Nothing like getting boned.
That's a good one man hahahahaha!

Quick Reply: california window tint questions, got ticket!