Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Brake calipers.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 02:16 PM

Cool PAGING BRENT 94Z.............

Brent.........i may have asked this queston a year or so ago and i know you have a link to this stuff in your sig....but i am looking to paint the brake calipers on my daily driver.....94 honda accord ex(not a ricer at all, totally stock from the day i bought it) but i can recall you saying something about wheel wire acid and then some brand of paint.......i can't recall. But is this acid stuff danerous if it contacts your skin at all? and where can i get the best red paint for the calipers and the acid for the pre-cleaning? I just want to go about this the easiest and most efficient way, how long does the paint take to dry, can you pput the tire back on before it's all dry and just park it in the garage? I have heard of some people taking off the caliper itself, but i dont trust my knowledge in brakes enough where i think i could put it back on right so i am just going to paint it while its on there. I figured i would clean my inside rim area while the car is jacked up. Anything else you could advise me off is appreciated.......

ps--Did you put your car on jacks to do yours?

Last edited by *SoRRy OfFiCeR*; 03-19-2003 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:42 PM

Brent 94z....you around?
Old 03-19-2003, 04:51 PM

He usually is on more towards the evening i believe
Old 03-19-2003, 07:20 PM
Banned

Wait...I painted my calipers already and have had no problems...what is the warning from Brent??
Old 03-19-2003, 08:33 PM

yo...what method did you use to do it? did you take off the caliper itslef? or just paint it while it was attacthed to the pad and rotor? and what is the best brand of red paint to get for it? did you do any prepping?

ps--did you use a standard jack to get the car up?
Old 03-20-2003, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Here is my link...

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/calipers.htm

I've got the wire wheel acid on my hands before. No real problems unless I had a cut then it burned like a SOB!!!! You don't want to get this industrial pro strength stuff on your skin but if you do it won't kill ya. It is also strong enough that if you get a good whiff of it it'll make you go cross eyed. Strong stuff but it works good

I took mine off and boy was that a PITA. It took me like 3 days to do it all! If I do it again, I'll probably NOT take the calipers off and just tape off around them. It could drop it to a one or 2 day job because you don't have to wait for the stuff to dry enough to handle it.

I just used regular old Rust-Oleum and some high temperature clear.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:49 PM

what do you mean by taping off? do you mean like how you put newspaper over the rear portion of your car? if this stuff gets on my cars paint .....i'll die. I dont want it to be messy that much....i figure i am going to leave the caliper on there and just meticulously spray around it, of course it would not be as thorough as your, but its the best i can do.....what was the color red paint you used again? and where is it available to buy?

ps--how many floor(hydraulic) jacks did you use to life your car, did you just lift one whell at a time?
Old 03-20-2003, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by *SoRRy OfFiCeR*
what do you mean by taping off? do you mean like how you put newspaper over the rear portion of your car? if this stuff gets on my cars paint .....i'll die. I dont want it to be messy that much....i figure i am going to leave the caliper on there and just meticulously spray around it, of course it would not be as thorough as your, but its the best i can do.....what was the color red paint you used again? and where is it available to buy?

ps--how many floor(hydraulic) jacks did you use to life your car, did you just lift one whell at a time?
By "tape off" I mean tape up the stuff you don't want painted. Like this...

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/cal163.JPG

I just used one jack. With all the suspension mods done to my car I can lift three wheels off the ground from one jacking point
Old 03-20-2003, 09:29 PM

brent.....if i do the painting in a garage with the door shut........then would i have to worry about overspary getting anywhere..casue i believe a lite wind caused yours.........but i would still tape it all off, but the garage door shut would almost eliminate all overspray risks right?
Old 03-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

brent.....if i do the painting in a garage with the door shut........then would i have to worry about overspary getting anywhere..casue i believe a lite wind caused yours.........but i would still tape it all off, but the garage door shut would almost eliminate all overspray risks right?
Not really. Overspray is caused mainly by the type of paint, pressure in the can, etc. Shutting the door just means it won't travel as far. I would still be concerned about the car itself. However, with that being said, some guys barely mask off anything and don't have any problems... go figure
Old 03-21-2003, 12:33 PM

Arrow

Yea.......true.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:15 PM

Yea.......true.
Just give your car a good wax job before you paint and when your done painting....just wash the overspray off...the overspray will not stick to a fresh wax job

I'm sure this is said in Brent's stuff...