Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Black plastic shiner for 93-97 headlight area?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:12 PM

Black plastic shiner for 93-97 headlight area?

The headlight area of my Camaro is looking a little faded. I want to know if there is a way to darken the black area back up.

Some ideas:
  1. Armor All. I'm nervous about this stuff because I know over time it dries out plastics (I don't like to use it on my interior for this reason)
  2. Some sort of grease. I know silicone based (like dielectric) grease is good for maintaining your rubber weatherstripping, but how would putting it on the plastic work?
Are there better ways to do this, or would one or two work?
Old 06-21-2007, 05:02 PM

I use "Autoglym bumper care" on all my plastic/rubber exterior areas.It's like a thick green gel that you can use on any colour plastic/rubber.
Not sure if you guys can get it in the U.S,its one of the top brands here in the U.K.
It not only darkens the plastic but also gives it a nice shine when buffed with a micro-fibre .
http://www.autoglym.co.uk/enGB/produ...electorCar.asp

Last edited by MARKTHOMASBRAND; 06-21-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:40 PM

Don't even think of using grease, it will look awful and collect dirt in no time. The same for armor all, because it won't hold well outdoors over paint, it will look streaked and greasy.

The best solution is to paint the area, it's not that difficult and you can do it yourself in about 2 hours. First clean the area well with dishwashing liquid detergent. then sand lightly and evenly with 320 or 400 sandpaper, mask around the edge so you don't ruin the body color paint in the bumper.

Mask everything properly. Run an outline of good quality masking tape and then fill in the rest of the exposed areas and headlights. You can use plastic bags cut open or aluminum foil to conform to the shape of the headlights. You can use newspaper or plastic to cover the whole bumper, engine (since you'll do it with the hood open) and front part of the fenders. You could also remove the headlights but that involves more work.

Spray two light coats of spray can primer (better if you get black). Let dry about 10 mins between coats. Then apply black bumper coating, 2 even coats will look good; this paint is very long lasting and stands up well to the weather. You can get both spray cans at an auto parts store like Napa or Pepboys.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:52 PM

Well, it's black paint, not black plastic, so you can't really do much to shine it up other than use a bit of wax and wax it.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by MARKTHOMASBRAND
I use "Autoglym bumper care" on all my plastic/rubber exterior areas.It's like a thick green gel that you can use on any colour plastic/rubber.
Not sure if you guys can get it in the U.S,its one of the top brands here in the U.K.
It not only darkens the plastic but also gives it a nice shine when buffed with a micro-fibre .
http://www.autoglym.co.uk/enGB/produ...electorCar.asp
This stuff has an identity problem. It appears from the discription that it is intended for Dyed plastics, not painted surfaces.
Use on all colours of exterior plastic and rubber components, including bumpers, fenders, grilles, mirror casings, mouldings, trim, tyre walls, vinyl roofs, spoilers and mudflaps.
How many fenders are dyed plastic??
I would not use this on any painted surfaces, without knowing what's in it.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:42 AM

Here's some dyed plastic fenders.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
This stuff has an identity problem. It appears from the discription that it is intended for Dyed plastics, not painted surfaces.

How many fenders are dyed plastic??
I would not use this on any painted surfaces, without knowing what's in it.
Lots of 80's/90's cars have dyed plastic fenders or inserts,at least they do on European cars anyway.
The stuff I pointed out is perfectly harmless if applied to paint,although that is obviously not it's main purpose.It is excellent on areas such as the windscreen wiper arms and cowl,as well as the door handles and mirror casings etc.I even use it on the area between the rear screen and the t-tops.
Like I mentioned it works really well on the area round the headlights on the 93-97 Camaro,would also be well suited on the plastic airdam at the front.It removes polish/wax from grained plastic areas instantly.
Been using the Autoglym range since I started driving,with excellent results,although I am also impressed with Meguiars range of products .

Last edited by MARKTHOMASBRAND; 06-22-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
Here's some dyed plastic fenders.
Got me! Looks like more than just fenders.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by MARKTHOMASBRAND
Lots of 80's/90's cars have dyed plastic fenders or inserts,at least they do on European cars anyway.
The stuff I pointed out is perfectly harmless if applied to paint,although that is obviously not it's main purpose.It is excellent on areas such as the windscreen wiper arms and cowl,as well as the door handles and mirror casings etc.I even use it on the area between the rear screen and the t-tops.
Like I mentioned it works really well on the area round the headlights on the 93-97 Camaro,would also be well suited on the plastic airdam at the front.It removes polish/wax from grained plastic areas instantly.
Been using the Autoglym range since I started driving,with excellent results,although I am also impressed with Meguiars range of products .
You could become the U.S. distributer. We'll all buy from you!!