Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Assistance on Gauge Overlay

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 09:10 PM

Assistance on Gauge Overlay

I would like to say procarparts.com got my order here on the exact day they said it would be here. So I am very happy.. Packaging was great except I got no directions….You say what do I need directions for; well it is the reverse glow one that does the multi colors… So what do I connect? I know a few of you gotten them here already so any advice would be great… I know the red wires is power and the black is ground I assume, but where do you plug in the connector I have like six options…

Plus anyone have any tips on how to install it on a 97 camaro? I never cracked the dash open on this yet… How easy is it to get the cluster out or do I need to?
Old 08-07-2003, 07:38 AM

No help from the peanut gallery???? TIA
Old 08-07-2003, 09:48 AM

There should be like 5 or 6 connectors you can plug in to, but they are all connected. So you can plug it into any one of them.

To install the gauges.

Remove the four screws holding in the panel underneath the steering wheel and then remove the panel.
Remove the two screws holding in the trim piece in front of the gauges. Then pop the piece out and rotate it to the left to get it out.
Remove the screws (I forget how many 2 or 4?) around the gauge cluster so it is loose.
Now you can reach under and over the gauges to unclip the plastic clips that hold the clear plastic cover on. There should be like 6 of these.
Once that it off, you can just slid the overlay on. You just have to bend the needles a little bit (be careful not to break them) to get it to slide on.
You don't have to remove the cluster and total time to install is about 30 min and then another 30 min to wire it.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:04 PM

You are not gonna like it unless you remove the old one. Trust me. Needles get stuck and the light doesnt line up. Mark you needles and do it right.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:53 PM

I suggest you do what I did, it's beautiful:

before-during-after
Complete
Night

...Added the firebird bezel, cut the corners out carefully, connected it to a good ground, and the power to the dimmer dial
Old 08-07-2003, 03:29 PM

Newbie,

I believe former86 is indiglo guages not overlays. The lights dont' need to match up because they are not going to shine though like the macewen overlays. Trust toast and rlax, I have the same kit and am going to follow their instructions. Basically after you have them installed, just ground the black wire and connect the red wire to the brown wire on the headlight switch.

There is NO need to remove the needs and you'll be sorry if you did. Marking is not reliable way to ensure they needles are properly calibrated. You don't wanna run outta gas when it says 1/4 full.

Goodluck,

Robert O