Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Another new 93-97 Headlight Idea...

Old 09-20-2002, 01:35 PM

Another new 93-97 Headlight Idea...

I found this guy's website earlier today and noticed his headlights...Since the HID conversion is still at least $400+, and siliconing bulbs in the old housings is not really a good way to do it, I thought this was a rather nice way to handle it.

It's a sealed beam conversion kit for the 4351's (Stock Low Beams). The folks at this website is the place that has them. It's called Pro Street Lighting. They don't show the kits on the website, but the first page (where the link is to) has a phone number at the bottom that you can call. Just tell them you got a 93-97 Camaro and need the 4351 Sealed Beam conversion kit. It comes with bulbs installed (9005's) and is just $59 shipped. You can order the same kit for your brights and just use the 9006 bulbs.

The car in the above link is NOT my car...I just used that link to show what it looked like. I just ordered mine, and they are nice people. Hopefully it'll all turn out nice.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:12 PM

Dude! That is impressive! I dont know how much one could upgrade the 9005 and 9006's but I know you can do a little to spiffy them up (like sylvania cool blue actually are good "blue" lights compared to the painted ones - I read an article on it and saw some real numbers. Gain really is minimal, but there. They make another one that isnt blue but better.)

That has potential. It's just so hard to give up some cash for something other then performance. How long till you get yours? I'll be watching intently. Also, I wonder if they could do housings for like H4 bulbs. I like those better.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:21 PM

I meant to say in the first post that I know you can easily find bulbs that will run off of the stock harness that burn at 4000k, of course for folks like pu12, that just ain't good enough .
PIAA sells harness upgrades that you could buy and put bulbs in them that would burn as high as HID's, but you gotta get the bulbs from PIAA too, and they are more expensive than these housings! If you don't mind not having a direct replacement for the stock housings, then there are lots of companies that make H4 housings that would fit (rectangular in shape...), but you would have to come up with your own mounting techinque. The guy said it would be by Friday of next week before I get mine, so I will try to snap a few pics so all can see what they are like. I am going to upgrade from the bulbs that they send in them to some higher burning ones after I get over the fact that I just spent $60 on something that isn't gonna make my car handle or perform any better But I don't really mind that much, because theses cars are a pain in the hinder regions to see out of at night!
Old 09-20-2002, 02:34 PM

Those sealed beam housings do like nice and would be much easier than silicone adhering the bulbs in place like I have my HID's in my 97 Z28. However if you didnt know stock H4351 bulbs are glued in place. The bulbs are tight as can be and perfectly aligned. So if you wanna spare the cash and use the glass stock Sylvania GUIDES it is a very reliable setup. P.S. since I have owned my Philips/Hella HID's I will never go back to any type of halogen bulb, PIAA or not. No halogen bulb can duplicate the light output of HID's.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:38 PM

Re: Another new 93-97 Headlight Idea...

Originally posted by 94BlackBowtie
Just tell them you got a 93-97 Camaro and need the 4351 Sealed Beam conversion kit. It comes with bulbs installed (9005's) and is just $59 shipped. You can order the same kit for your brights and just use the 9006 bulbs.

Before ordering I would inquire if the housings are glass like stock. Many of these companies are all getting the housings from the same place as AutoOptiks. They have proved to be less than quality as most previous owners will say nothing good about them.
Old 09-20-2002, 04:32 PM

Ok guys,

I don't wanna ruin the excitement... but let me speak from experience.

Look at his picture right here:

http://www.infinite-mass.com/kent/im...look/stuff.jpg

Those are the same housings that auto optiks sells. Even the white packaging is the SAME.

How do i know ? I bought them a while back and they SUCK
(The CONCEPT behind the auto optiks housings is a good one, but they do NOT align correctly and they do NOT seal correctly)

So basically this is nothing new ALSO, let me just add that if u want to run 4300k bulbs in the stock housings, go for it. The only reason I switched is because I wanted the CRYSTAL clear housings and 5000k bulbs. Siliconing them in isn't all that bad if u do it correctly. Use high temp clear silicon.
Old 09-20-2002, 06:06 PM

Oh well, I probably should have posted about this before I ordered them, special thanks to Wraith and pu12 for trying to help me fix my goof up.
I ordered them late in the day (after lunch), so it's a possibility that they won't even process the order until Monday, so maybe I can cancel my order before it shows up...

Since these are just the AutoOpticks - it's like you said pu12, this isn't anything new. Oh well, now we all know that there is yet another retailer of their junk.

I still have my original Guide Housings, so I may do some experimenting with them...my uncle-in-law works for a machine shop, and his wife has access to a laser cutter, so between the two of them, maybe I can get some sort of keeper like what the housings that hold 9005's and 6's made, and glue it to the back of the housing. Sound like a good idea? If I can get this done, and without too much trouble, maybe I can get a few extra made

Well thanks everyone for your input...
94BlackBowtie
Old 09-21-2002, 09:50 AM

Hey 94BlackBowtie , the option for HID's is still available to you. For all the screwing around with the stock housings you might as well just spend the little extra money and get the best. Even if you dont like the idea of silicone adhering the bulbs in place (which actually works great) you gotta remember HID capsules last a LOT longer than halogen bulbs. Maybe I can just sell you my HID's that im using in my car now which I gauruntee you would be much more happy. Anyway, you know my e-mail.
Anyone else want my HID's?? (I need tires badly) lol
Old 09-21-2002, 08:10 PM

How long would plastic lenses/housings last? I saw some for $19 at advance autoparts today, was thinking of it, but it's plastic and bright. hot light and plastic dont mix. Supposedly they have a lifetime guarantee also, but idk about it.

I'll agree HID is the way to go, and honestly, for the high end kits, I'd be willing to dish out a few hundres bucks, but I'm strapped for cash as it is.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:08 PM

Re: Another new 93-97 Headlight Idea...

Originally posted by 94BlackBowtie
. It comes with bulbs installed (9005's) and is just $59 shipped. You can order the same kit for your brights and just use the 9006 bulbs.
Actually, the low beams are 9006 and the high beams are 9005.

FYI- I've had my hyperwhites siliconed into my factory housings for over two years now with no problems.

-Chris
Old 09-23-2002, 06:51 AM

Hey Guys, latest news I have on this...

Before ordering I would inquire if the housings are glass like stock. Many of these companies are all getting the housings from the same place as AutoOptiks. They have proved to be less than quality as most previous owners will say nothing good about them.
I got in touch with both the guy that used these housings, and with Pro Street Lighting...he said that the housings were glass, but the way you had to align/hold the bulbs in was rather cheap. He said it was basically like a paper clip holding them in
I also called the place that I ordered them from back, they said they had never heard of AutoOptiks, (but why would they have heard of them if they were selling the same product???). SO I'm just gonna wait until they get here and see what other details I can give you guys...

The guy that has them (the link in the first post) said he is very pleased, and like everyone has agreed-all the people that has had the AutoOptiks housings has had an entirely different attitude about them...So we shall find out, maybe they will be the greatest thing (aside from HID) since slice bread...
Old 09-23-2002, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by Geoff Chadwick
How long would plastic lenses/housings last?
Well, my foglights have platic housings, but they do have glass lenses (Pilot's). They use the H-3 or H-4 bulb, can't remember right off hand without looking, and I'm feeling lazy now, so they put off some pretty high heat, and I haven't noticed any prob's with the housings being plastic, but if the lenses were, they'd be melted by now, 'cause if you touch it after they've been on for a little while...it's hot. Real hot.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:34 AM

So are the lights (9005/6) that prostreetlighting sell of a good quality? I'm looking to just silicone them into the housings since people seem to not like the housings they sell. Or are there better options that are reasonably priced? links?

Also, does anyone have recommendations for fog lights? I had some crappy ones in for a while and they got all rusted and discolored 95 Z btw.

Jason
Old 09-23-2002, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by Technoz
So are the lights (9005/6) that prostreetlighting sell of a good quality?
That guy that I talked to that has them said he loved the lights themselves, and I was reading on their website earlier that they have a 10-day satisfaction guarantee on their lights, so I would give them a try...I wouldn't run anything higher than a 55w light though, you can hurt your wiring harness that way.

Originally posted by Technoz
Also, does anyone have recommendations for fog lights?
I used these pilot lights, and I love them. They are similar in shape to the factory ones, and they run H-3 bulbs, so they are pretty bright. They are also a driving light, so they have a better pattern than fog lights. I wired them into my factory switch instead of using the remote...e-mail me for more info if interested.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:11 AM

Update on H4351 Sealed Beam Housings from ProStreetLighting.com

Hello all,
I said I would update eveyone on these when I got them, so here's the update:

They came in yesterday afternoon...I immediately opened them to check 'em out, and they looked okay. I dind't really like the paperclip thing that holds the bulb down, but that was okay.

I have heard that the AutoOptiks don't have any kind of seal to keep moisture out, well, at least these do. They have a rubber grommet around where the bulb sits in the housing, and it seats very well.

My problem came into play when they wouldn't fit in the stock frames without modifying them. That's when I put htem back in the box. I did however go ahead and use the bulbs they sent, and I think they look pretty good. Check them out here.

So I wouldn't advise these housings unless you are wanting to modify your frames a little bit...but other than that, everything was just OK, like I said, the paper clip thing doesn't suit me too well, but whatever floats you boat.

The bulbs are Eurolite Super Plasma Xenon's in my stock Guide halogen housings. That's it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another new 93-97 Headlight Idea...