Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

98-02 Camaro RK Sport Sway Bars & Poly Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:37 PM

98-02 Camaro RK Sport Sway Bars & Poly Bushings

Hey All,

I am in discussion to but a Used RKSPORT Sway Bar set with end links and Poly bushings. The Front sway bar is 35mm, rear is 25mm. Does ANYONE know how hard they are to install, more importantly how much they will cost to install and how much improvement they will do.

I heard they keep the car from "rolling" and help the drive but I would like to know your thoughts and feedback before I finalize the deal.

If anyone has these installed or had them PLEASE reply and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:48 PM

Re: 98-02 Camaro RK Sport Sway Bars & Poly Bushings

hey Badd, might wanna try the parts specific sections. not too sure if appearance would be the appropriate place for a question like this, but i guess you never know lol hope you find your answer cause i have no clue
Old 04-25-2011, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by vincerosas818
hey Badd, might wanna try the parts specific sections. not too sure if appearance would be the appropriate place for a question like this, but i guess you never know lol hope you find your answer cause i have no clue
yeah man I have no clue either lol... I figured MAYBE someone would know if I don't hear anything bu tomorrow night Ill open it somewhere else.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by mybadd02camaro
yeah man I have no clue either lol... I figured MAYBE someone would know if I don't hear anything bu tomorrow night Ill open it somewhere else.
they will make the car a bit more uncomfortable, but it will handle better. the poly bushings transmit more vibration, but they make the car feel firmer. i've never replaced my sway bars, but i dont see it being that difficult.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:50 AM

If your car doesn't have RPO code Y87, I suppose they'll make a major difference. You'll be giving up a comfy V6 ride though and if you aren't throwing your car around, I don't know if I'd make the same sacrifice if I was in your shoes.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 AM

Very easy installation, both front and rear! Can be done by you with minimal hand tools.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
If your car doesn't have RPO code Y87, I suppose they'll make a major difference. You'll be giving up a comfy V6 ride though and if you aren't throwing your car around, I don't know if I'd make the same sacrifice if I was in your shoes.
I trust you Brandon! I just thought it would be a better ride but I DO NOT want to have the car driving rough as I "drive" (sit and traffic and scream! ) on the Long Island Expressway everyday.

I guess I will just keep her stock and maybe do some shocks or something to lower it.

Thanks!!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:14 PM

I haven't been in a V6 Camaro before, and I'm not the most technical guy here, so my opinion isn't worth much, but I can definitely say this:

The only people who are going to notice you changed those parts are the people changing your oil or doing other service under your car and you. So if you change 'em, nobody else is really going to notice. How much different they'll make your ride, I don't know.

I get really annoyed at how rough our SS and GXP ride, particularly the GXP since it's my main car. The Bilstein shocks and whatever springs are on it are just too rough. It's pretty bad when the Z28 is the most comfortable riding car I have access to. The Bilstein/Eibach suspension on the SS is even stiffer. Sure, both cars stick to the road and handle great, but in day to day driving, they are pretty rotten unfortunately. My neck is sore all the time.

If I had your car, I'd just focus on some of the appearance stuff. Get a set of SLP RS stripes if you can find them and the SLP grill. You already have dual exhaust and SS wheels, so maybe you could upgrade the brakes to Z28 brakes. I've seen someone change their V6 engine to having the Z28 air intake (technically they used SLP blackwing air intake) and probably a larger throttle body too. I suppose you could do those as well, but I don't know the work involved or if your engine would throw error codes or need to be tuned for the increased air flow.

Here's a pewter RS with the stripes and grill.
Name:  01pewterRS-36k.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  80.5 KB
Old 04-26-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by mybadd02camaro
I trust you Brandon! I just thought it would be a better ride but I DO NOT want to have the car driving rough as I "drive" (sit and traffic and scream! ) on the Long Island Expressway everyday.

I guess I will just keep her stock and maybe do some shocks or something to lower it.

Thanks!!
the reason I haven't lowered my car yet cus I know I will not like the ride! also your tires wear out faster with SUSPENSION mods.

I would good for looks bro and save the mods when you get a v8 IMO

Last edited by ZeeS7o7; 04-26-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:01 PM

98-02 all use the same brakes f/r.

35/25 is way to big for a V6.

the most common upgrade is the 32/19 1LE sway bars. going to big will cause the *** end to break loss with out waring, which creates problems when switching lanes.

32/19 can be picked up pretty cheap on ebay and forum classifieds.

talk to Tpunk on full throttle V6 .com he knows his suspension stuff.

I'm running the 32/21 1LE with SFC's. J&M panhard rod, J&M LCA's with 3 piece ploy bushings and a 3 point Kenny brown STB, ploy bushings all around. love it.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by ZeeSNuttS
the reason I haven't lowered my car yet cus I know I will not like the ride! also your tires wear out faster with SUSPENSION mods.

I would good for looks bro and save the mods when you get a v8 IMO

remember all suspension mods and if you have a V8 cat-back it can be swapped over to a V8 if you do upgrade later on.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by fbodyrs96
remember all suspension mods and if you have a V8 cat-back it can be swapped over to a V8 if you do upgrade later on.
if I had a v6 I would do all the free mods then save my money for a v8 and count the days until I'm 25 so my insurance is cheaper lol

you can buy a LS1 engine for $500 to $1000 with miles on it
Old 04-26-2011, 07:19 PM

yeah thats what i did ^^ lol
Old 04-26-2011, 07:36 PM

Thanks guys for all the info!

Brandon- I hear you, I put the new "SS" rims on, and the ride is a bit more stiff, and while changing lanes it does do some "weird" stuff, it "waddles" a bit but nothing much so I am still happy.
I ALWAYS wanted to put those "RS" stripes on my Camaro, but with the "SS" rims and the "Y3F" Z-28 Sports Appearance kit I don't know how all three would go together, but I would be interested in trying it. AND I never know what color to get, the Black or the "35th Ann" style white stripes. I am always looking for appearance stuff but I think I have almost run out of stuff to do lol.

I am doing to put halo headlights so that should make it look real nice and I am ALWAYS looking for a "SS" OEM hood.

Zee- The only reason I have a 6 is that insurance would be KILLER for an 19 year old AND living in NY
I am DEF looking for a used salvaged LS1 SS or Z28 motor, but that is going to take a while to find the right one.

Thanks guys for all the help!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
I haven't been in a V6 Camaro before, and I'm not the most technical guy here, so my opinion isn't worth much, but I can definitely say this:

The only people who are going to notice you changed those parts are the people changing your oil or doing other service under your car and you. So if you change 'em, nobody else is really going to notice. How much different they'll make your ride, I don't know.

I get really annoyed at how rough our SS and GXP ride, particularly the GXP since it's my main car. The Bilstein shocks and whatever springs are on it are just too rough. It's pretty bad when the Z28 is the most comfortable riding car I have access to. The Bilstein/Eibach suspension on the SS is even stiffer. Sure, both cars stick to the road and handle great, but in day to day driving, they are pretty rotten unfortunately. My neck is sore all the time.

If I had your car, I'd just focus on some of the appearance stuff. Get a set of SLP RS stripes if you can find them and the SLP grill. You already have dual exhaust and SS wheels, so maybe you could upgrade the brakes to Z28 brakes. I've seen someone change their V6 engine to having the Z28 air intake (technically they used SLP blackwing air intake) and probably a larger throttle body too. I suppose you could do those as well, but I don't know the work involved or if your engine would throw error codes or need to be tuned for the increased air flow.

Here's a pewter RS with the stripes and grill.
Brandon- Also I figured you would know, does the stripes ever effect the paint?? I can't put the car in a garage so the sun hits it all the time and I don't know how that will "bleed" through the paint. Any info you have on these stripes would be MUCH appreicated!
Thanks!

Quick Reply: 98-02 Camaro RK Sport Sway Bars & Poly Bushings