Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

4th gen. sunvisor replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 05:39 PM

4th gen. sunvisor replacement?

I want to change the sunvisors on my '96 Z28. I see that new cars have polyurethane or some sort of elastic hard foam covered with vinyl and the seams are heat sealed. I don't know why GM engineers could not change the thin fabric covered cardboard cheapies they have been using since the 3rd. gens. The fabric is very fragile, stretches, becomes unglued, stains easily and the elastic straps look bad and stretch, becoming worthless. I had the same problem on my '90 RS and now on my '96.

I want to swap them for some newer ones, maybe one of you guys know what fits? I was thinking that probably from a new Impala, (the Malibu ones seem too short), what about a Tahoe or from another brand of car as long as the stem fits in the OEM 3 screw base? maybe you know about aftermarket abs plastic ones? I don't care if they have mirors or not, as long as they are black or grey and can fit properly, I just want to change to something that looks better and is more durable and easy to clean than the worn and ugly stock ones.

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-21-2007, 12:44 PM

I know the annoyance. The fabric stains, the crappy elastic hangs down, the airbag/warning stickers start peeling... mine randomly fell off and attacked me one day while I was driving my '97 Camaro. The ones in my 2000 camaro wouldn't stay stuck to the ceiling and would always flip down on hard bumps.

I'd take them to a custom upholstery shop and have them covered with a hard foam and vinyl. That way they can reuse the 3-hole mount and swivel setup.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
... mine randomly fell off and attacked me one day while I was driving my '97 camaro..

sorry I got a mental image of that..couldn't help it.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
I know the annoyance. The fabric stains, the crappy elastic hangs down, the airbag/warning stickers start peeling... mine randomly fell off and attacked me one day while I was driving my '97 Camaro. The ones in my 2000 camaro wouldn't stay stuck to the ceiling and would always flip down on hard bumps.

I'd take them to a custom upholstery shop and have them covered with a hard foam and vinyl. That way they can reuse the 3-hole mount and swivel setup.
Well, mine are not that floppy, they stay where I put them and my wife actually used a needle and thread to tighten the elastic strap (I was thinking of cutting it, but she suggested that). I don't use the strap for anything, that's a useless add on the interior designers put there.

I know what you mean by reupholstering it (my fabric is starting to get a little loose) thing is I would still have the flimsy cardboard backing, not a more modern urethane or plastic piece. Guess I'll scrounge a junkyard or two this weekend with one of mine as a sample and see what fits...
Old 06-21-2007, 08:10 PM

I am having the same problem, have never even used them. Still looking for an alternative. May get rid of them all together by putting in some polished plates. There is another CZ28.com member who did that and has pics online, I forget the link tho... something to consider.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:51 PM

I need to replace mine too. The cardboard broke and is all floppy now. Not in love with the OEM ones.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Interceptor1
Well, mine are not that floppy, they stay where I put them and my wife actually used a needle and thread to tighten the elastic strap (I was thinking of cutting it, but she suggested that). I don't use the strap for anything, that's a useless add on the interior designers put there.

I know what you mean by reupholstering it (my fabric is starting to get a little loose) thing is I would still have the flimsy cardboard backing, not a more modern urethane or plastic piece. Guess I'll scrounge a junkyard or two this weekend with one of mine as a sample and see what fits...
as far as the loose strap goes, since i dont use mine, i just opened up the vanity mirror and folded the excess so it sticks under the mirror door.

i need to get mine redone as i have the floppy ears on each side
Old 06-22-2007, 09:50 AM

I'm glad I have a 93Z... Don't have that problem.....

And I thought I was the only Interceptor (N2ceptor) here....
Old 06-22-2007, 09:55 AM

What's special about a '93? My '95 is the one with the messed up sunvisors, are your's different?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
What's special about a '93? My '95 is the one with the messed up sunvisors, are your's different?
My 93Z doesnt have an elastic strap or vanity mirror....