Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

1996 SS and Bra

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:20 AM

1996 SS and Bra

I'm moving to FL in a couple weeks and I wanted to purchase a LeBra for my '96 SS to protect it on the way down. Before I go buying one, though; Does the regular "Camaro" LeBra work with the SS's hood? Or would there be some issues with the hood scoop and the hood portion of the bra?

Thanks,

-J
Old 05-16-2006, 11:20 AM

Re: 1996 SS and Bra

i dont think the bra goes that far but i am not sure
Old 05-16-2006, 03:01 PM

Contrary to popular belief, bras do NOT protect your car. For every 1 rock chip you may be spared, your car will have 27 scuff marks and you'll need a repaint from all the chaffing.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kick Z tail out
Contrary to popular belief, bras do NOT protect your car. For every 1 rock chip you may be spared, your car will have 27 scuff marks and you'll need a repaint from all the chaffing.
Not entirely true... with proper care that is I used to use car bras all the time and never got a single scuff mark in the paint. You just have to make sure you have a properly fitting bra as well as keep the car at least somewhat clean. You can't have all kinds of dirt and rocks stuck between there and expect to not have problems.

As for the LeBra. Look for something else. I had a LeBra for a 3rd gen and it was good. Bought one for my 4th gen and it sucked so bad I gave it away! I got a Wolfe instead... much better looking and higher quality and about the same price
Old 05-16-2006, 03:15 PM

Not sure if I could even bring myself to put one on my car.....but I guess if I had to make a long trip on the interstate or something, I'd suck it up and go ahead and do it.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by GT KILLER
Not sure if I could even bring myself to put one on my car.....but I guess if I had to make a long trip on the interstate or something, I'd suck it up and go ahead and do it.
I drive home from school all the time, it is 600 miles one way and I never use a bra, I just couldnt do that. But maybe I will change now that I just got the car painted 2 weeks ago
Old 05-16-2006, 05:50 PM

Brent: Thanks for the advice; I would have bought a LeBra otherwise.

GTKLR: That's what I'm thinking. I'll use it only for the long drive down there and then maybe if they've got me driving to Eglin AFB every day from NAS Pensacola. That's gotta be a bug-filled, nasty drive all around and I think a bra could help keep the front end more decent than if I weren't to use one.

-John
Old 05-16-2006, 07:16 PM

Yeah, if I ever took my Camaro up to New York, a bra would be a must. I'm from up there, so I make frequent trips to and from, probably about three times a year, sometimes more. I have my beater to use for those trips, but I was thinking the other day that if I ever was gonna get some serious engine work done (heads/cam) I'd have to get it done in NY, cuz I know someone up there that works for a GM dealer that does all sorts of work on the side. I've been hesitant to bring the car up there though because of the trip.

I just can't get myself to drive all the way up I-95 in that car.......it's like a phobia, lol.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:34 PM

AFAIK long trips are what will really compound the problem. High speed freeway driving = a lot of buffeting. You can NOT get them tight enough to keep them from moving, I disagree with Brent here. Never thought that would happen.

You want a LeBra? Buy mine. I had the previous owner take it off before I bought the car. It has all the scuffs on it to prove he used it, too.

I need paint on the front end, just where the bra was. Of course it's gonna cost a pretty penny because you can't really just paint and blend the nose...
Old 05-16-2006, 08:53 PM

So you're telling me the bra will mess up my car, even if it's only used for the trip down to P-Cola and subsequent small trips back and forth on the highway?! I plan to take it off and wash the car as soon as I can after having arrived in FL. What's a guy to do here?

-John
Old 05-16-2006, 09:30 PM

Hmm....I know rubbing against your paint can screw it up, but I didn't realize a bra was loose enough to do that. When my dad trailered his '70 Buick GS down to the GS Nationals in Bowling Green, he had the cover on it. The subsequent flapping of the cover in the wind kinda messed with the paint at some points, but that was a flapping cover. I didn't know a bra would move around like that.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:49 PM

Is the scuffing that apparently results even from a well-fitted, rarely-used bra removable with a clay bar?

What's the concensus here: Use a bra for the drive from MO to FL or not?
Old 05-16-2006, 09:56 PM

Personally, I think bra's are terrible looking. I've driven my car in Michigan for almost 10 years, and 70k miles later, the front end looks great. You DON'T need a bra. Just get some good bug cleaner.

Dan
Old 05-16-2006, 10:05 PM

As long as the bra fits right......it really shouldn't scuff anything. They're not supposed to make any sort of marks on your paint.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by stereomandan
Personally, I think bra's are terrible looking. I've driven my car in Michigan for almost 10 years, and 70k miles later, the front end looks great. You DON'T need a bra. Just get some good bug cleaner.

Dan
Dan, thanks, but you clearly aren't getting the point. I'm not looking to put a bra on my car for good. But merely one trip down to FL from MO to (hopefully) give it some protection from bugs/pebbles/etc. After I arrive in FL it will be removed and (probably) not used again. I just know the highway can be rough on the front end of these cars and she's got nice coat on her that i'd like to protect for as long as I can.

-John

Quick Reply: 1996 SS and Bra