Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

~$150:TOP OF DASH in carbon fiber

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 10:59 AM

larger strand carbon fiber is much less prone to breakage and usually stays intact.....no, never heard of a carbon fiber splinter from un-resined carbon fiber. In fact, there's a company that makes raw carbon fiber wallets.....sure you aren't thinking of fiberglass??
Old 11-21-2002, 01:55 PM

I would be most interested in it for my 94 firebird, with some gauge pods on it.
I know my ac vents make perfect gauge pods but it gets hot in cali I need all of them to cool down the black leather interior.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:28 PM

i havnt had a lot of work with carbonfiber , but i have been told that a carbonfiber splinter hurts a lot worse tha fiberglass ( and i know that they hurt like a ****
Old 11-21-2002, 09:34 PM

Well if you are hit by something hard enough to crack the dash mat and a pillar im pretty sure your screwed anyway...
Old 11-21-2002, 10:54 PM

im talking about raw carbonfiber , no resin , so the fibers can easily splinter off
Old 11-21-2002, 11:34 PM

as many different pieces you can make (dash,console, ect.)I
would definetaly buy all them. e-mail me if you ever actually get around to it. flinginmonkeypoo@lycos.com
Old 11-22-2002, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by LT1Brutus
To get this rolling I need to find a workspace, which I think I can. The first thing I do will probably be the dash top, although I like the idea for the a-pillar too, since it would probably be fairly easy to do. I'm also considering replacing the upper part of the doorskin w/ woven carbon fiber (no resin) that has a rubber bonding on the back to keep it all together. Raw carbon fiber is as smooth as silk. Unfortunately, it doesn't hold up to a lot of rubbing (i.e. doing seats in it) but it is strong enough to do door panels, shifter boots, etc. I'll keep you all informed, but for now I need to justify the cost of making a mold for the dashtop. I'll need 5 buyers in the $150 area before I can consider it. I'm not saying $$ up front, just 5 people w/ $$ in hand. They would of course get pics from the one-off I'm planning to do this winter. As for the person that wanted a "red quasi kevlar" setup, I could just use a lighter piece of carbon fiber and put red resin over it instead of clear or smoked resin
As long as you make the door panels and such I'm in. I want to redo my ENTIRE interior, its starting to look bad. I'll pay however much you charge, so long as its a direct fit for my year/make/model.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:02 AM

Like I said I would pay one hundred bucks for a carbon fiber dash.. Heck make it fake carbon as long as it is not cracked like mine... Hey where can I get fake carbon fiber.. I could try it myself...
Old 11-22-2002, 11:47 AM

I am defnitely in if you can do for a 93z,just cant stand how the dash is2 different coors, also would make the interior a lot nicer looking, more upscale.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:56 PM

actually i've gone around here to several places that work with carbon fiber. I've been looking to redue alot of trim, such as the hvac control bezel, the pw/pl panel, to name a few all tell me it can be done, but none really give me a str8 ^ price. i would pay 150 for sure for the dash trim, as long as i saw many pics and an install. i would be in.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:37 PM

Okay, I've done some more looking. ~$150 would only be an intro. price. Looks like in order to make it a quality piece the price for just the materials will be almost 150 if not more and that doesn't even include labor. BUT to get it out there so other people want it, I'd be willing to sell the first 5, that are pre-ordered for just over cost. I'll start taking these preorders as soon as I can provide pics of the finished prototype. As for the finish on them, looks like it'll be easier to make a glossy mold than a textured one, and also keep them easier to clean. Also, I MAY consider selling a ready-to-paint fiberglass version for ~1/2-3/4 the price of the carbon one.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:48 PM

Sounds good, I understand about the additional cost, that's how these projects always go. Personally, I would have more interest in a fiberglass one as I'm personally not one for carbon fiber. Either way though, if you can get some guage pods on there ANYWHERE I'd be on your list for sure. Great idea, best of luck!
Old 11-23-2002, 05:39 PM

One for us 98+ birds would be nice too
Old 11-24-2002, 11:06 PM

LT1Brutus..I work for an *undisclosed* composites company in Indianapolis building IRL, CART, Funny Car, WOO cars, etc bodies out of mainly carbon fiber...some kevlar and fiberglass work.
and I've been doing it long enough to know that you DO get splinters from raw, as you put it. carbon fiber. The "splinters" you are referring to that you don't think exist are near microscopic and simply enter your poor. If you have truely worked with carbon fiber for any amount of time, then you would know this. Fibers get in the air and settle on your skin and itch like hell.. They don't hurt exactly..but the DO itch. Cured carbon fiber splinters, however, can get under your skin and do in fact hurt.
Also..the fibers in the actual weave are not all equal length...but are kept in that nice shiney weave formation by a chemical they are dipped in, in order to keep the weave perfect before the resin is applied. A chemical which quickly dissipates with touch...and since the the fibers are not all equal length, the carbon fiber will quickly become ragged if not handled carefully.
SO...the idea of making door panels and shift boots and whatnot out of dry carbon is ridiculous. Not only would they look like @$$ in no time, you'd be getting fibers all through your car and all over yourself and your clothes.
As far as making dash mats and gauge pods and all that..unless you have highly polished milled aluminum molds, your proposed parts will be very imperfect and not something anyone will want in their car.
I know this because I have already looked into it. My 94 Z has carbon fiber layed in front of the intake on the hood, the rear center piece has CAMARO and the lock shaved out and cover in carbon fiber. Both of those have been cleared coated and polished. I have a CF nose emblem, CF license plate frame, CF HVAC and Lights Panel backgrounds, CF shift plate with ashtray shaved out, CF lower door panels(part that is normally carpet).
These have had a lot of work put into them to look good.
Carbon Fiber and (quality) resins and materials cost quite a bit. a lot of time will also go into finishing your cured parts...meaning, wet sanding all teh imperfections out, being careful not to sand into the weave, and then clear coating them with 12-14 coats...wet sanding in between each to make sure it stays smooth...and finally buffing the parts to a high gloss...that's the best you're gonna do without expensive molds...and for further reference...aluminum CNC machined molds are top dollar. a mold to make, say, an A-Pillar, could run you a grand or more...most likely closer to $2k.....
Hope this was informative for everyone. Make sure you get pics of any products before you spend high dollars.
C'ya guys
Old 11-25-2002, 07:52 AM

I just bought a uncracked dash atthe junk yard for my car which hada cracked one for 15 bucks... Yes that top piece was only 15 bucks....

So I can say I would not pay over 75-90 for one made fomr carbon fiber..

Quick Reply: ~$150:TOP OF DASH in carbon fiber