Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

What ever happened to the Barry Grant 3-valve SBC head?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:26 AM
Administrator

What ever happened to the Barry Grant 3-valve SBC head?

Remember SEMA 2004.... Barry Grant displayed a mockup of his new 3-valve SBC head (actually designed by Triple D Induction)? What ever happened with those?

http://www.barrygrant.com/news/artic...oduct_014.aspx

http://www.barrygrant.com/pages/news...ticleid=sema04

Old 01-24-2008, 11:34 PM

I did a search on it the other day when the guys were talking about the Aero 4-valve heads. I want to know more about the BG heads.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Administrator

I think they are a figment of someone's imagination.

After we hunt down the elusive 3-valve heads, we can try and find out what ever happened to the Coates spherical valve head development.....

http://www.coatesengine.com/csrv.html
http://www.usitoday.com/article_view.asp?ArticleID=2023

Their headquarters/factory/shop is located about 5 miles from where I work. I think I'll send them an e-mail and ask what the status is of the performance automotive applications. Their "Coates" sign outside the building appears to have either fallen down or been taken down, but there are still a few cars parked in front of the main door.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Remember SEMA 2004.... Barry Grant displayed a mockup of his new 3-valve SBC head (actually designed by Triple D Induction)? What ever happened with those?

http://www.barrygrant.com/news/artic...oduct_014.aspx

http://www.barrygrant.com/pages/news...ticleid=sema04

How does the rocker arm set up work on a head like this?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator

We don't know.... Barry wasn't too free with info. I understand the head they showed at SEMA was a plastic mockup. Hopefully they didn't plan to use the same approach as Dominion/Arao, with two tips running on a single shaft rocker. That is probably the biggest single problem with the Arao heads.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:57 PM
sbs

We don't know.... Barry wasn't too free with info. I understand the head they showed at SEMA was a plastic mockup. Hopefully they didn't plan to use the same approach as Dominion/Arao, with two tips running on a single shaft rocker. That is probably the biggest single problem with the Arao heads.
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG
[W]e're using a tie bar between the two intake valves that is actuated by a standard style roller rocker.
http://tinyurl.com/2ec8c3
Old 01-25-2008, 06:39 PM

Talking

Hopefully they didn't plan to use the same approach as Dominion/Arao, with two tips running on a single shaft rocker. That is probably the biggest single problem with the Arao heads.
Umm, how else are you supposed to actuate 2 valves with a single push rod, using a cam in block set up? And obviously, since you've built thousands of Arao head equipped engines, you won't mind sharing how you did over come this problem...
Old 01-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by unstable bob
Umm, how else are you supposed to actuate 2 valves with a single push rod, using a cam in block set up? And obviously, since you've built thousands of Arao head equipped engines, you won't mind sharing how you did over come this problem...
You and him have built the same amount of them to be fair.....

I like how the sign fell down out front of the other place....thats great
Old 01-29-2008, 10:25 AM

I thought the problem was that the ports could not be made large enough to be effective with the dual valves.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mdacton
I like how the sign fell down out front of the other place....thats great
I think a photo is in order.......
Old 06-18-2008, 12:50 AM

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...4&postcount=17

Originally Posted by Tech @ BG
Pro-touring72,

Sorry about that missed your question. We did not have the 3-Valve heads at the SEMA show this year. We’ve made some changes on that project and hope to devote some more time to them this year. We had an issue with some of the development people that we were working with, where they weren’t able to work within all of the criteria we initially set forth. The initial goal was to be able to utilize a standard short block with stock 4 eyebrow pistons. To do this we had to position the intake valves in a less than ideal position. The prototypes showed great potential, but had a few drawbacks in relation to optimal compression ratios, and cam lifts. So if the end user would have to use a custom piston anyway the thought is to redesign the chamber and valve orientation to increase the benefits further. There are a number of manufactures now utilizing 3-valve cylinder heads, so we all know there is potential with these types of designs.
That's gonna be a hard sell.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:53 PM

we can try and find out what ever happened to the Coates spherical valve head development.....

Their headquarters/factory/shop is located about 5 miles from where I work. I think I'll send them an e-mail and ask what the status is of the performance automotive applications. Their "Coates" sign outside the building appears to have either fallen down or been taken down, but there are still a few cars parked in front of the main door.
I saw this on TV over 10 years ago and thought it made so much sense and wondered why it did not take off. If it was just a matter of getting new heads and putting them on an existing manufactured block, I would be buying some!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Administrator

I
..... Their "Coates" sign outside the building appears to have either fallen down or been taken down, but there are still a few cars parked in front of the main door.
Rumors of their demise were greatly overstated...... the sign has been replaced with a much more impressive one, and some of the clutter around the building has been cleaned up.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:01 PM

Two thing about the Coates design that immediately come to mind.
First it appears that the intake and exhaust charge has to make two sharp right angle turns to get into/out of the cylinder.
Second what happens to the beautifully polished rotating valve after the cylinder fires a few times and it gets all gummed up with deposits.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:41 PM

Aww come on, minor details!!

BG is in serious money troubles now, I doubt they will ever sell them. A few months ago rumor around the campfire has is that Barry had to sell off several assetts to make payroll.

Quick Reply: What ever happened to the Barry Grant 3-valve SBC head?