Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Traction Control Information

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 11:28 PM

Traction Control Information

As some of you may know, I am starting my F-117 project, I posted all the details on Classic Tech, but here's the link:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...threadid=95254

I am going to put a traction control system on this, and the closest place I can think is a C5 corvette. Taking out the sensors from the suspension, wiring and computer will be the easy part, but re-programming the computer and getting it to work will be hard.
The next best place I can think is an aftermarket setup. I searched on the net a few hours and found one manufactuer in the UK. They have a pretty good set-up, but I would like to compare some systems.
I will be calling Ligenfelter performance and talking to them about the C5 setups, but does anyone have any reference information or any system manufactuers?
Anything would help.

Thanks

Hunter
Old 03-21-2003, 03:18 AM

My initial reaction is the typical car guy “why would you want to do that…” The first thing that many 4th gen f-body guys do if their car has traction control is disable it or rewire the switch so that it defaults to off rather then on, since it can be really annoying if turned on when you are interested in some spirited driving.

But I suppose if you want to do some very fast driving with a lot of hp…

I’d be very surprised if you could separate the traction control from the rest of the ‘vette ecm (though I’m not that I’m that familiar with it). I do know that there are a few people tinkering with home built traction control setups to use when road racing… and I’m pretty sure that there are some aftermarket systems available on the import market.

I guess one direction that I’d consider looking in is doing something like mounting reluctor rings at the front wheels and either the rear axle or both rear wheels, sum the front 2 and rear 2 signals and use a PIC16 chip and a rather simple program to compare the front to the rear. Program it that if the difference is over whatyever your preset limit is to send a signal to the output and use that signal to pop the wastegates open and/or trigger a timing retard on an ignition box (actually, you'll probably be running an aftermarket ECM, you could probably just send the signal to the ECM and program it to drop the boost and/or timing). Hum… maybe you could get a Saab APC box (Automatic Performance Control, they were stand alone for a lot of years) to trigger off the output from the PIC16 instead of using a knock sensor… I bet it would start somewhat crude, but I bet that it could be tuned to be just enough to work well without being annoying.

Controling power with the wastegates and timing should be fairly nice because it should be fairly smooth (you don't want to loose all your power suddenly in a turn and spin).

Last edited by WS6 TA; 03-21-2003 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Your exoti-car is going to need a sophisticated aftermarket engine management system. In addition to high level engine management, the MoTeC top-of-the-line ECM can be set up for traction control. The M800/880 series has digital inputs for wheel speed, and outputs for waste gates.

MoTeC M800/880
Old 03-21-2003, 12:10 PM

TRY RACETRONICS.NET
THEY MAKE A TC UNIT THAT FITS ANY CAR. THERES 3 KIND - THROTTLE, BRAKE, AND IGNITION. THEY USE ONE WHEEL SENSOR ON THE FRONT AND BACK WHEEL. IT USES POWER STEERING PRESSURE TO OPPERATE THE THROTTLE OR REAR BRAKES. REAL SIMPLE AND EASY TO INSTALL. THEY ARE INFINATELY ADJUSTABLE ON THE AMOUNT OF WHEEL SPIN YOU WANT.
IT'S A STAND ALONE UNIT SO NOT INTEGRATION IS NEEDED WITH YOURE ENGINE MANAGMENT.
THE GUYS NAME IS JOHN GREGORY. THE PRICES ARE ON THE WEB SITE, IF YOU'RE INTERESTED I CAN GET YOU A DEAL.