Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Test Opti??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 01:40 PM

Test Opti??

I just installed a cc305 cam with 1.6rr, and a new Opti. I went to start it and nothing. So I thought it might of been the RR so I redid them, same result. I checked to see if it was firing at TDC it was. So I think it might be the Opti. Is there a way to check it to see if its work right? Because I have no idea what else it could.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:22 PM

What exactly is "nothing" when trying to start the car? Even if the rockers were not there, the car would still do something.

Is the starter even turning over? What exactly is occuring? What year is the Optispark?

If your using a 93/94 Opti, it is VERY easy to get the splined shaft on incorrectly, it should go on smoothly, to check this you should be able to pull it in/out several times with EASE. I used paint marks to help make location easier.

On any year, if you didn't install the chain on correctly (6/12 alignment on cam/crank gears), then that could cause poor running, or if off multiple teeth then it may not run at all.

Last edited by Dr.Mudge; 01-08-2003 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:30 PM

The engine will turn over but not fire. Also when I have the pedal all the way down the car will backfire.

Its a 94 camaro

And about the spline I thought it could only go in one way.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:41 PM

I tried to PM you back, but the PM limit is very small, and I ramble...

white1994z28 wrote on 01-08-2003 01:31 PM:
And about the spline I thought it could only go in one way.
I would have upgraded to a 95 setup, and gotten rid of the crappy chain while I was at it (I hope you at least got a new one, they do break, if yours does bye bye engine).

They are only supposed to go on one way, but when I did it my first time on my 94 I had it off by one or two teeth and didn't really feel like I was forcing it on at all. My car didn't run. I let it sit for about a week wondering WHAT IN THE HELL is wrong with the car, why wont it run, I had replaced nearly everything at that point.

Did the Opti over again, and that was it, off by a tooth or two. It is very hard to get the 94 setup on correctly, I really hate it, your going in blind not able to see anything, so you must line it up ahead of time and go in S L O W L Y, to make sure its on right and not skipped a tooth, back it out not quite all the way, and go in/out a few times to make sure it is absolutely free of friction, otherwise its not on right. It may take a few times even with the paint mark on the gear and timing cover, but its the only way to work with the POS 93/4 setup. Much easier on the 95. I'll about bet you thats what it is, good luck!

If you have FreeScan and a diag cable, when my Opti was on wrong it showed up as desired idle 3457 RPM or something crazy.