Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

stubstacks and air horns

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Banned

stubstacks and air horns

Are they worth anything?

The claims of 28-40 cfm increase sound pretty good for the small pirce.

any opinions?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 07-25-2008, 11:18 AM

All that stuff is trial and error and what works on one combo is a bust on another.

I will say my HVH super sucker is the best $100.00 I ever spent for improved performance on a bolt on intake improvement.

I'm now working on an airpan to see if that will help out any.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:30 PM

When I tried one of those I found that milling the choke horn off messed up the air bleed calibration pretty good, and that piece made it farther off. If I was going to go to all the trouble and fix that crap I would just put a diff main body in and get more flow for certain.

How air flows through the bleeds is as apparently important as the size of the bleeds are for proper operation.

Important lesson here is if your carb is running good and the car is performing as it should. Don't eff with your carb period. Cost me two weeks of test n tune to get my performance back and the gain I made for all the trouble wasnt worth it in the least.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by WS6T3RROR
When I tried one of those I found that milling the choke horn off messed up the air bleed calibration pretty good, and that piece made it farther off. If I was going to go to all the trouble and fix that crap I would just put a diff main body in and get more flow for certain.

How air flows through the bleeds is as apparently important as the size of the bleeds are for proper operation.

Important lesson here is if your carb is running good and the car is performing as it should. Don't eff with your carb period. Cost me two weeks of test n tune to get my performance back and the gain I made for all the trouble wasnt worth it in the least.
WS6 They sell versions for both WITH the choke tower and WITHOUT the choke tower.

I have 4 different carbs that I rotate and make changes on them to try different things with, it never really hurts to try something new no matter how well you think you are running.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Banned

Well they don't have one for HP carbs that I have found. but what about an air pan?

I have heard before the when the car gets moving the air is sucked out of the engine compartement from the bottom like a vacuum. Would trying an air pan do much? I have never tried any of this before....
Old 07-26-2008, 10:54 AM

If done properly they are worth it. You want a radiused entry into the carb or any air intake for that matter.