Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Silent Muffler? Such a thing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 03:18 AM

Silent Muffler? Such a thing?

Alright, I just got the headers back from the fab shop, they welded up some mandrel bent 1 3/4" primary that will find themselves nice and snug in my engine compartment.
After I got them back I started to install the electronic race readies.....boy do I love the thought of these....
Now I need to find a muffler that helps me keep the project silent....hence the name "F117" the stealth fighter.
What muffler is going to keep my car totally quiet, until I open up my race readies....I have no idea casue I noramlly just run straight pipes on my cars, but i changed my focus now.
Any help would be appreciated, and I will be running 3" pipes...i know its not that silent, but i dont wanna lose too much power.

Ciao

Hunter
Old 12-01-2002, 04:15 AM

Any performance muffler is going to make some noise, just some more than others. Straightline Mufflers are one of the baddest mufflers on the street car racing circuit. They keep the tones low but lose little to none in hp. The Borla XR1 muffler is another that quiets down the exhaust tremendously without giving up little to no hp. I've seen Borla XR1's actually make hp over a straight pipe. Both of these race mufflers are pricey and if your spending the money on electric cutouts, I'd probably go the Spintech Muffler route and get their quietest muffler. This would gain you ground clearance (don't think you need it anyway) and would quiet your car down the most without giving up too much hp with the cutouts closed. Just some opinions for ya...