Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Royal Purple oil ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:29 PM

Royal Purple oil ???'s

How long can a LS1 engine run when using Royal Purple oil before having to change the oil,regular oil is like every 3000 miles is the Royal Purple longer on the oil changes?Thanks
Old 06-16-2010, 06:45 AM

I don't care for RP motor oil. I ran it in my 00 'bird and found a heavy black residue in the pan when I did a tear down for inspection.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:17 AM

From their WEB site.

How many miles can I go between oil changes?

Royal Purple suggests adhering to manufacturer‘s recommended oil change intervals for vehicles under warranty. Vehicles that are no longer under warranty can frequently double or triple the number of miles between oil changes depending on the vehicle, its condition, the way its used, and the oil filter that is used. For guidelines specific to your vehicle, we recommend contacting our technical department at rpautotech@royalpurple.com
Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 PM

If you actually bothered to read the owner's manual or watch the change oil light you would realize that with the cheapest oil available when the car was built GM only spec'd 3000miles for very severe duty. Even on the LT1s they allowed for up to 7500miles on plain old dino oil.

Beyond that some digging usually shows Royal Purple is better in race applications than on the street. Most people get what they think is data from advertising.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:55 AM

Thumbs up Understanding oil

Oil is not just a lubricant,
It is also a coolant, and cleaner. Even if the quality of oil tests well for lubrication properties, it may not be good to leave in your engine. One of the biggest jobs for your oil is to capture and suspend partials like Carbon, metal and unburned petroleum products. That’s the long way to say Blow By. The more blow by you have around your rings, you should expect more black junk in the oil. Most synthetic oils are higher Detergent so they tend to clean out other parts of an engine, which if used in a high mileage engine that has typically used Dino oil, it can cause it to start using oil by washing out the varnish on sealing surfaces. The molecule that is Synthetic oil is also smaller than the one that makes up natural oil, which also will tend to cause leaks in older engines.
The answer is how old is your engine? How efficient is your engine? What is your driving style? What is your geographical location? What is your temporal Location?
If you regularly race your engine, drive in High Ambient Temperature, Drive in a desert, Drive in the Rain Forrest, Drive mostly on the Highway, or stop and go in the city. Does your car idle a lot, or does it set for long periods of time? These are all reasons to change your oil more frequently. Without knowing all of this information, we could only guess on how often you need to change any oil.
You can test your car by sending in a sample of oil at specific intervals to have it checked, they would be able to tell you exactly when it has reached a point to be changed, other than that, Just change it at your manufactures recommended schedule, because Oil is still cheap Insurance for your car even if you run Synthetic!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:57 PM

Long story short, when it gets dirty, you'll need to change it, just the same as regular oil. Will it last longer than regular oil before it needs to be changed? Maybe, but certainly not enough to make up the difference in price if thats what you were wondering.

I ran RP in my Z when it was NA. I liked the oil a lot (besides the price). I don't remember changing the oil really any less than I change it now though with regular oil.

psy4s makes some great points.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:23 PM

this question is too advanced for this forum, you need to ask in the ultra advanced tech forum