Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Engine problems...(Please dont shoot!!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 02:13 PM

Engine problems...

I'm trying to start this engine and its just not happening. I put some light springs in the Pro Billet MSD distributor (There was none) and the problem got just a little better. We then tried a stock 440 distributor and rigged some plugs to fit the cap and got a little closer (cackling out of the headers but never a full start). After playing with the timing and rotating the distributor, it started, revved real high and shut off. We tried to start it again and it didnt crank, it just kept turning like before with a mild backfire (An earlier backfire before the springs were put in bent the valve cover). What could the problem be? Should I put in the heavy springs or does the springs have anything to do with this?

Last edited by rallysport92; 06-23-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:48 PM

Is this a regular SBC?
The advance springs shouldn't have a whole lot to do with the advance during cranking, but once it fires up and turns 1000rpm or more, they may start stretching and advancing. How do you set things up when you put the distributor in?
Do you have someone checking timing with a timing light when you try to start it?
Have you double checked your plug wires to make sure they go to the right plugs? It's so easy to goof that up.
Carb or EFI?
How did the backfire bend a valve cover?!
Old 06-25-2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheNovaMan
How did the backfire bend a valve cover?!
Probably gas in the crankcase, that or the op used ether/starter fluid on it. Kind of eliminates fuel as a problem.

Verify that you are getting spark first. Pull a plug out put it back in the boot and ground it to the block/head and have somebody crank it over. Get cylinder 1 on top dead center on the compression stroke (both valves shut) and then pull the distributor cap off and look where its pointing. If this is a 440 big block which i'm guessing at since you said you tried a stock 440 distributor. If you want to make sure its timed correctly pull the distributor out and the slot in the oil pump drive gear will be parallel to the cam. If the distributor is timed properly put it back in place. My suggestion to you is if the dist has vacuum advance on it make the vacuum advance cannister point at the headlight.

If all of that checks out.. put your foot on the floor and try to crank it, its likely flooded.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:59 PM

The engine is a 426 hemi. The distributor is an MSD pro billet. My dad aligned it pretty much the exact same way. I dont know if this has anything to do with it but this distributor was set up on a dragster before he bought it. With the stock 440 distibutor the backfire wasnt that bad. After he aligned the pro billet the engine started for about 5 seconds, started to rev high but it shut off. Should we just try a whole new distributor?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:18 AM

Its backfiring on you? Make sure you have all the plug wires lined up, its real easy to get them crossed on the big block mopars since they're long. If it reved up really high it was getting air and fuel from somewhere, maybe you should look for vacuum leaks, a carb port unplugged etc. I guess also the fast idle could be on if the choke is engaged.

Distributor set up for a drag car should still let it start and idle regaurdless. Try giving it a bit of a twist while he is trying to crank it and see if you can get it to catch. I had a buddy with a 440 one time that he had worked on all day and it wouldnt fire, I gave the dist about a 45* turn while he cranked on it and it fired right up and ran while we put a light on it.

The firing order should be 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, the cylinders are numbered like a chevy 1357 on drivers side from front to back and 2468 on pass side. Also remember the rotor turns counter clockwise in a big mopar.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:27 AM

Well I got it going but now I have another problem. Is there any reason oil would be in the headers? And on the spark plugs? Could this be from sitting so long?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:55 PM

Is this a fresh rebuild or an old engine? I'm wondering about ring seal.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:00 PM

Its an old engine thats been sitting for a long time