Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Early model or Late model block?

Old 08-20-2003, 08:08 PM

Early model or Late model block?

I have a choice between 2 blocks, both 350 4 bolt main.

1. Late model, fully prepped, painted oil galley, cleared for rods (383) for $575.

2. Early model, bored .30 for $450.

I plan to build a 1st gen Z. I really didn't want to run an electric fuel pump; I had one in my last Camaro and it drove me up the wall. But, the guy that has these blocks told me the late model is a little stronger due to high nickel content. He also told me I couldn't run a hydraulic roller lifter that I'd have to run a solid lifter on a hydraulic roller cam.

My question is, which block should I go with? I hate electric pumps but my goal is ~600hp at the fly; so, can this hp be done with a mechanical pump?

Thanks.

By the way, my goal is ~600hp at the fly N/A on pump gas...
Old 08-20-2003, 08:14 PM
Banned

I would go with the better preped block, if the work was done right.

The late model will give you less crank choices, because of the 1 piece rear main seal, but it's also a much better block to use with Hydraulic Roller lifters. You can run a solid roller but the lifters are taller, 871 or 873 Comp lifters will work.

The early model block costs more to run Hyd Rollers in but almost all the other stuff that is different is cheaper.

As for the electric pumps are a better choice, but they do take more work to wire and such.

Bret
Old 08-20-2003, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by SStrokerAce
I would go with the better preped block, if the work was done right.

The late model will give you less crank choices, because of the 1 piece rear main seal, but it's also a much better block to use with Hydraulic Roller lifters. You can run a solid roller but the lifters are taller, 871 or 873 Comp lifters will work.

The early model block costs more to run Hyd Rollers in but almost all the other stuff that is different is cheaper.

As for the electric pumps are a better choice, but they do take more work to wire and such.

Bret
Thanks for the info. I dont mind the wiring part, I just hate that noise...My Holley Blue could be heard over the 2.5" turn downs....I was going to put a piece or rubber between the body and the pump to see if that would quiet it down some, but I sold the car before I got the chance...