Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Dropping LT1 engine into older model

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 05:48 PM

Dropping LT1 engine into older model

I have a LT1 motor and automatic tranny from a 94 F-body. The body is trashed but the engine and tranny are almost new. I was looking to drop the motor into a 70's model. I was wondering if anyone's ever had experience doing anything like that? What would I need to do to make it compatible with a different body? Or if there would be another Camaro body with a more direct fit? Thanks for any advice you can give!
Old 12-26-2015, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Re: Dropping LT1 engine into older model

If you didn't get any responses to your original post, not likely to get anything in this forum. This site has few, if any 1st and 2nd Gen members. Mostly 4th Gen, LT1 newbies at this point. Few guys w/ LT1's in a street rod, RX7, a Jaguar. Don't recall anyone with one in a 2nd Gen.

Hardly anyone posts in or reads "Advanced Tech", but maybe you'll get lucky.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:01 PM

Should drop right in. Any sbc motor will. Probably will just have to size the drive shaft. You'll of course need the computer (unless you are going carb) and other electronics maybe for an automatic transmission. You might want a different computer to set it up better if it's not going to be a full swap including 02 sensors, maf, etc. The tranny crossmember may require a little engineering, but should fit some how. I was able to get a 4l80e tranny in a '67 chevelle using the original crossmember and original frame holes (only used one bolt on each side but that will hold it) so test fit it before you buy any expensive stuff you may not need.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:54 AM

I've got my LT1/T56 in my 79TA. It's fairly straight forward since it's a SBC and the cars originally came with a SBC from the factory. You're even easier being an A4.

My suggestion would be to join NastyZ28.com It's a 2nd gen specific forum with a lot of people who've done motor and overdrive transmission swaps. Use this forum for LT1 specific information though.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:53 AM

The LT1 is basically a small block with d-port heads. It will basically bolt in with whatever it takes to bolt in a small block with the same trans in whatever chassis you're considering. You might need to get a passenger side motor mount shell from an older small block to use with your mounts if you're using something that uses stock motor mount shells, and make sure the outside header bolts line up.