Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

deep freeze metal treatment

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 02:52 PM

deep freeze metal treatment

I rember reading in an old car craft about a meathod of strengthening metals in cranks, rods gears ect. You send your parts out and they freeze the parts so near absolute zero, then slowly bring the temps back up. This is suposed to make the grain structure more even and stronger, making the parts better.

Now this was just an advertisment article, does anyone know about the meathod im talking about? Does anyone have any info about getting this done and if it works? does anyone know the name of this meathod?

I was thinking that once the metals heat cycle again, the grain will just return to there normal structure. Any comments?

This is for a class im taking and were covering metals and diffrent meathods of altering the metals strength (nitrating, tempering, quenching, carburizing ect) and i mentioned it to the teacher and he wanted more info.

Thanks
-Eric
Old 01-20-2004, 03:58 PM

Try searching this forum.

You are about to reopen a can of worms.

I like "advertisement article" in your post.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:25 PM

Well thats all they are. It's the american way, why would someone do anything unless if they profit from it. Thanks! ill search around.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Two threads I just found offhand on Cryo Treating for you-
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=180584
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...threadid=23679
Old 01-20-2004, 08:09 PM

Not sure what's in those other threads yet but...

http://www.cryogenic.co.nz/index.cfm...ent&page_id=27
http://www.cryoeng.com/motorsports.html
http://www.sub-zero-cryogenics.com/home.html

The web is full of sites like that.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the links guys!
-Eric
Old 01-21-2004, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by turb0racing
It's the american way, why would someone do anything unless if they profit from it.
Hang around. There are a few folks here who do things for motives other than profit.

"I was thinking that once the metals heat cycle again, the grain will just return to there normal structure. Any comments?

If you heat a metal up to a transformation temperature in use, you have probably chosen the wrong metal for the job.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:24 PM

While in school still I worked on a Formula SAE race car team and we had many many problems with warped rotors. Granted they are only .180" thick after the surfce grind but they would warp in about 20 minutes of very hard use during autocross style events. So the place that was laser cutting the rotors and grinding them started freezing them for us too! They last a lot longer before warpage occurs, like 100 times longer which was good in our book. The name of the place is called ACE Manufactureing in Sullivan MO. The also make just about every prostock and top fuel clutch in use today. They cryo all their clutch parts for better wear and longevity. Their main product line is large diesel clutch applications. All their deisel flywheels go through the cryo treatment as well to help the wear properites of the flywheel.

I don't care what metal you start with, if it fits in the deep freeze freeze it. It can't hurt it, and it could make it stronger.

However no real proof that I know of have actually proven it works scientifically at least, only real world results are known.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by 442olds
While in school still I worked on a Formula SAE race car team and we had many many problems with warped rotors. Granted they are only .180" thick after the surfce grind but they would warp in about 20 minutes of very hard use during autocross style events. They last a lot longer before warpage occurs, like 100 times longer which was good in our book.
That's over 33 hours. What team were you with? I only heard of one which had that much auto-X practice, and I believe they trounced the competition in the auto-X.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:00 PM

UM-Rolla,

Let's just put it this way, the car with a ton of hours was a 5 year old car at the time (I think its 7 or 8 years old by now and still kicking), which we would use for pratice and driver training.

I don't know how many hours are on it exactly, and the 100 times may have been exagerated a little, but the car had a ton of seat time on it. It would run for 4 to 5 hours staight on a good saturday. Figure we take it out every saturday that is above 40degrees and work doesn't need to be finished and some guys would "borrow" the car for the summer to run SCCA events in St. Louis and Springfield. So hours rack up quickly. However it seems we are pleuged when it comes to the endurance and autocross events at Pontiac. We would spring a fuel leak, brak a wheel, upright, you name it, it happened to us the years I was on the team. And we had really good cars just stupid bad luck.

It was still fun and I wish I was still assembling those rocket engines. I loved the Honda F2/3's we ran. Now I think they are running a Kawasaki 600 fully stressed no less.

right now I am trying to let me ceramic/dry film lube all the engine internals, but they haven't responded to my eamil yet. We shall see.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:03 AM

not car related but cryo related. I do soil test borings...use an auger with a drilling head. We were using up a head in an avg of 2 weeks. We were solicited by a salesman who offered to cryo one head for free to compare. Of course we took the free cryo and that head lasted 1 month. I don't remember the pricing but it did work.....