Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

bellhousing bolt pattern ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 06:24 PM

bellhousing bolt pattern ?

i asked this question on LS1 Tech but didn't get a single reply for couple days now, so im gonna try it here.
you guys know how the LS1 bell housing bolt pattern is a little different from all the other small block patterns (ex. LT1) well i need to bolt up a tranny that has the more common bellhosing bolt pattern on it to an LS1 motor, now the bellhousing unbolts from the tranny with the regualr four bolts so thats easy, can i get a bellhousing somewhere that would bolt right up to the tranny and the LS!
thanks
Lukeys bro
Old 04-16-2003, 07:50 PM

You stated that the bellhousing unbolts from the rest of the tranny with four bolts. I assume you are referring to a manual trans then correct?

So you are trying to get a tranny that has a standard chevy pattern to bolt up to a LS1 block.

What trans are you planning on using? Is it a t-56 or something odd??

Need a little more info here.

Also you could post this on WWW.LS1tech.com
Old 04-16-2003, 09:09 PM
Administrator

As many times as I read your post, I can't understand what you are asking. You might want to get a little more specific, as to exactly which tranny, exactly which bellhousing and exactly which engine you are trying to bolt together. And what sort of clutch you plan to use with all this. Or is it even an manual???? I assume the engine is an LS1, but not sure of anything beyond that... might explain why no one repsonded.

I don't think any GM manual since the B-W T10/Muncie M-2X 4-speeds had 4 bolts holding them to the bellhousing. The LT1 and LS1 T56's use 8 bolts.

There's a decent article in the new June 2003 issue of Chevy High Performance on the physical differences between the Viper, LT1 and LS1 T56's. But that is aimed at putting later model trannies in earlier F-Bodys.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:09 PM

sorry bout that, ive got too many loose screws boucing around in my head, ill try it again
the '98 LS1 is the motor i want to use,
a '94 1 ton manual P/U truck tranny called NV4500 is what i want behind it.
the bolt pattern on the bellhousing of the tranny at the moment is that of cast iron 350s (if im not mestaking with the cast iron thing)
the bellhousing bolts onto the tranny with four bolts, square patern and works with a hydralic clutch setup.
everyging besides the bell housing bolt pattern works (input shaft lenght, clutch disk, throw out bearing etc.)
what i need is a bellhousing that will let me bolt the two together the right way (its jerry rigged right now) so that i may beat the snout out of it and not worry about it.
if you have any questions ask away, if i bable again...slap me couple times
thanks
Lukeys bro
Old 04-17-2003, 04:59 PM

sooooo is it safe to assume averyones dumb struck? i guess its time to call advanced adapters.... again.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:42 PM

Lakewood with some time may be able to help you out..If your crafty you could fab up an adapter from some T6 aluminum..Ive done this before myself.Countersunk hardware to mount it up and if need be spacers for the flywheel.

I do envy you for your trans choice..Id love to build another woods truck but the clay down here is some sreous stuff..In the past two months its snapped the u joints out of my jobs front end loader.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:53 PM

I’m confused… If I’m following (quite likely I’m not, don’t have the patience to carefully read everything) you’ve got an LS1 and a NP4500 (that I’m assuming was originally behind a ’94 350), right? Last I checked the LS1 bell housing pattern is basically the same as the traditional SBC with one extra bolt hole… so bolt it up to the original bell housing and leave out one bolt, or am I missing the problem entirely?
Old 04-18-2003, 11:29 PM

ws6 ta, close, the bolt that was just to the right of the top, about 2 o'clock, was moved to 12 o'clock, and then there are two bolts that go into the oil pan on the LS1 that have never been there on the older blocks, those are the differences, only ones that remain are the four around the guiding? pins on the sides and one forgot where exactly but its towards the top of the pins. i "moved" the one from 2 to 12 by welding extra alum. weld on top and drilig through that, but what im worried about is that the bolts are screwing into aluminium, not iron like before, thats why i want to get them all if possible, i guess for now ill just leave it like that and add a corss member under the tranny close to the bell housing, yes i can add cross members easily, why? becaouse my truck actually has a frame buhahahhaha you pavement pounders!!! lol