Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

AFR Revs vs Ferrea 6000

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 01:54 PM

AFR Revs vs Ferrea 6000

What is the better valve and is it worth the upgrade on them?
Old 01-26-2004, 04:32 PM

Confused what you are asking, if its what i think, you are asking which is a better valve between REV (racing engine valves) and Ferrea.

In that case sounds like either, LLoyd recommended either one, but REV are impossible to find, never did find a retailer of them, so I went with Ferrea 6000s.

Just not sure what the Afr in the question is?
Old 01-26-2004, 06:07 PM

AFR=Air Flow Research... they carry the REV valves... and I believe its the valve they use
Old 01-26-2004, 06:19 PM

I've been running Manley severe duty stainess steel valves in my LT1 heads and also in a Limited Street NMCA car I crew on. But two years ago the LS car was switched to Ferrea's and that was the last time it tuliped a valve!
Myself I'm currently up grading to Ferrea Competition Plus Valves PQ #F1100PQ on the exhaust and they are the "super flo's".
The comp plus is a step up from the 6000 series which are a great valve but you might want to look into the comp plus PQ line for the money if your going to hose the motor!

Heres some info from ferres site>>>

Ferrea Competition Plus Valves have built a reputation as the industry's most reliable extreme duty valve. We, at Ferrea, are dedicated to providing the absolute best product on the market.

Our extensive R & D programs provide technological gains, which are implemented in each of our competition plus valves. They are engineered for high rpm, high horsepower racing engines, and are chosen by many top NASCAR, Drag, and Oval & Sprint Car-racing teams.

To manufacture the valves we use special aerospace quality alloys, as described on page 5, including the EV8-Z18, which provides high tensile strength. An exclusive two-step slow forging process ensures proper grain flow and virtually eliminates any damage to the material structure. The valves are then heat-treated and stress-relieved over a 48-hour period, which is the crucial base of our molecular integrity. These valves feature avionics-quality hard chrome along with a specially applied hard tip. Our engineering staff at Ferreaspends countless hours conducting flow bench tests to achieve an optimum balance of flow, velocity and efficiency in the design of this valve. As a result, these valves incorporate smoother radiuses and unique undercuts. These exclusive features are what make the Ferrea Competition Plus Valves unequalled in performance and reliability!

Ferrea is once again setting the pace with itsCompetition Plus PQ Series Exhaust Valves, the next generation of exhaust valve technology.

Due to the evolution in today's competition engine applications, temperatures are increasingand, as a result, longevity is decreasing. Therefore, Ferrea is pleased to introduce our NEW! Competition Plus PQ Series Valve.

This is a next generation exhaust valve made of an UltraHigh Strength, High Temp Nickel Stainless Steel Alloy. Ferrea first used this material with great success, during the development of a very high stress, high temp endurance racing program. This PQ Series next generation exhaust valve material will progressively replace Competition Plus Series valves as applications evolve and the material becomes necessary. Listed below are some qualities of the Next Generation Exhaust Valve material:

• Tensile strength increased by 20% at high temperature

• Fatigue resistance increased by 20%

• Valve seat life increased by 25%

Last edited by Hot Rod Hawk; 01-26-2004 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by The Highlander
AFR=Air Flow Research... they carry the REV valves... and I believe its the valve they use
Is that so, I understood the AFR, but didnt realize they packaged their heads with REV valves, is this fo sho true?
Old 01-26-2004, 09:37 PM

My AFR's came with Manley's, and I have been happy with them.

Rich Krause
Old 01-26-2004, 10:40 PM
Banned

For most street stuff Manleys and Ferreas are going to be great valves. The Competiton ones Hawk is talking about are really great in motors with high cylinder pressure and heat like a N2O, Turbo or N2O motor. If I was worried about that though I would be looking at copper/berlyium exhaust seats.

Rich, I'm suprised that you have not upgraded valves yet. You Manleys are probably good but man you are really putting more and more into that thing now.

Bret
Old 01-27-2004, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by SStrokerAce
For most street stuff Manleys and Ferreas are going to be great valves. The Competiton ones Hawk is talking about are really great in motors with high cylinder pressure and heat like a N2O, Turbo or N2O motor. If I was worried about that though I would be looking at copper/berlyium exhaust seats.

Rich, I'm suprised that you have not upgraded valves yet. You Manleys are probably good but man you are really putting more and more into that thing now.

Bret
I almost did some new valves this year, but the exisiting Manleys looked so good that I just didn't want to get rid of them. Also, only 1,000 miles on them since a really good valve job, which I didn't want to go to waste.

Rich Krause
Old 01-27-2004, 10:13 AM

FWIW, my AFR's did come with REV valves.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:23 AM

My AFRs came with manleys, a 30 degree back -cut on the valves (exh and int) and you gain a buttload of flow.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by aggiez28
did you order them with them or did they come that way "stock"

ive had several sets of afr's ... all with manleys

im putting ferrea superalloys in my 215s

brook
When I ordered my heads I had them send them unassembled so I could use Crane valvesprings. When they came in they had REV valves. I didn't ask for them specifically. But I told them I wanted their best stuff.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:20 AM

I will note that I got the manleys and ordered the street heads not the competition. Myabe that is the difference.