Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Accel Dfi running on obdII crank trigger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:56 PM

Accel Dfi running on obdII crank trigger?

Does anybody know if the signal is acceptable and if it will work fine?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:48 PM

I was considering a Accel DFI app on 97ss obd2 car (383ci D1 MM6 72# Semens Inj.). They recc their distributor option. So, I did not buy after careful thought. I am still using my gm pcm OBD2 w/ lt1_edit ver. 2.2. Running very good now. I also looked @ others with speed density mapp. The problem is the limited space on there 4th gen vehicles for a rear dist in the cowl area. You can always cut the cowl and mount a MSD "crab" low profile type. I do think their systems are much more flexible and easy to progam with more performance potential. B.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Administrator

I'm just throwing out thoughts here, but the ECU needs a discrete reference to crank TDC for at least one cylinder. With a typical crank trigger, you will have an "odd" tooth. For example, on an Electromotive 60-tooth crank wheel, you have 59 teeth, and one "missing" tooth. That missing tooth defines TDC on cyl #1. Once that ticks by, the ECU can calculate the position of the other 3 ignition (or injection) events per crank revolution. So, a crank wheel of that type will supply sufficient information to allow bank-to-bank or batch-fire injection. It will also allow "waste spark" ignition, using 4 dual-tower coils.

Problem with the LT1 OBD-II crank sensor is that I don't think I see a "unique" TDC position reference. From the photos, it appears to be simply 4 identical poles. The LT1 PCM doesn't need a discrete TDC for #1 reference, because it already gets that from the Opti low res pulse signal. All it is using the crank sensor for is to detect the irregularities in the crank rotational velocity, for misfire detection. It knows which cylinder has fired (or misfired) from the cam position info.

I'm guessing that, unless the LT1 4-pole crank reluctor has a unique reference point, it isn't going to be usable for your purposes.

That's the good part about the Opti cam position sensor. Curse it as many do, but it provides reliable, sufficient information for the ECU to run full sequential injection, and 8-coil direct fire ignition. I use the Opti signal that way with my MoTeC M48Pro.