3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

What is this part called?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 04:43 PM

What is this part called?

Today i noticed that my driver side rear wheel had side to side play in it after hearing a rattling/knocking sound while driving. when i park it and get out and grab both sides of the wheel and pull back and forth as if i'm taking it off i can see there is an an arm piece thats connected to the frame that moves. it looks like a type of arm thats adjusted for front end alignments. the bushing is worn and its the bushing thats connected to the frame that needs replaced. when i order this part, i need to know what to call it. thanks in advance.

84 z28 305 HO auto-4
Old 04-23-2004, 06:12 PM

Sounds like your lower control arm... time for an aftermarket set. Don't waste your time and money replacing it with stock pieces, when you can get significantly better LCA's for dirt cheap slightly used in the forsale section

Will
Old 04-23-2004, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by stanghunter211
Sounds like your lower control arm... time for an aftermarket set. Don't waste your time and money replacing it with stock pieces, when you can get significantly better LCA's for dirt cheap slightly used in the forsale section

Will
Hey, thanks for the reply. So your saying i should just get all new arms? I cant just get bushings to replace? Although it would be nice to have high performance parts, I'm not big into racing and I baby the hell out of my car. I just want a nice, tight driving car. How much would a new arm be compared to a bushing? Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:01 PM

dont waste your time with a bushing, trust me. a nice set of arms will be around 100 bucks depending on where you get them and what design you go with. i run boxed arms, you'd prob want a tubular because they are cheaper and your not going for overkill, correct? www.bmrfabrication.com is where i get all my chassy parts from. you can also look at some global west arms from jegs for around 80 bucks i believe, if your wanting a cheap fix. anything is better then the stamped steel factory arms. plus you will get A LOT better traction with aftermarkets.

i don't mean to get off the topic of LCA's here but if your wanting a nice handling car, i'd invest in a strut tower brace, wonder bar and panhard bar. and you can't go wrong with sub frames, but thats all in due time wonderbars actually came factory on a selected number of 3rdgens. i dont blame you for babying your car, i feel the same way. so why not give it the best?

Last edited by LiquidSkies; 04-23-2004 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:52 PM

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...41&prmenbr=361

Its the same cost as just replacing the bushings, considering you have to buy the bushings and have a shop press them in for you.

Those lower control arms will tighten up the rear suspension, and aid in traction and handling.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:18 PM

The Lakewood LCAs are the cheapest out there for sure. But I would look around and get one that has a grease fitting on it so that you don't have the same problem again in 5 years. Look at the Spohn, BMR, etc. arms. They all have grease fittings on them.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:51 PM

hey thanks guys for all your help on this. greatly appreciated!
Old 04-26-2004, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by Stiers
The Lakewood LCAs are the cheapest out there for sure. But I would look around and get one that has a grease fitting on it so that you don't have the same problem again in 5 years. Look at the Spohn, BMR, etc. arms. They all have grease fittings on them.
Ummm... The Lakewoods come with grease fittings
Old 04-26-2004, 04:20 PM

Your right! I feel like an idiot! It isn't in the discription and at first glance I didn't see it in the picture because it isn't visable in the first one, but if you look hard you can see them on the one in the background...oops