3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

what needs to be done?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 02:20 PM

what needs to be done?

what would it take to get away from the ECU in ma 88 camaro? im rebuilding a 350 to put in it and i dont want any thing to be computer controlled!
Old 02-26-2007, 05:20 PM

You'd need the obvious parts for a carb setup: Carb, intake, air cleaner, etc. You are also going to need a non-computer controlled distributor, usually a vacuum advance HEI model.

As far as the fuel pump, you are going to have to either:

-Remove the intank pump and replace it with a carbureted pickup, and utilize a carb fuel pump on the block
-Get a fuel pressure regulator (Mallory 4309) and find a way to rig your pump so that it comes on when the ignition is on.

I chose the latter and am having issues with it as of now. I want to go back and go with the first option.

As far as all your gagues, from what I hear, they will still work with the computer disconnected.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:07 PM

When I did this to my 87 I left the computer in the car but the wireing harness wasnt hooked to anything just so I could use the intank pump b/c I couldnt afford to swap everything out and put a different fuel pump in it...and if you take out the intank pump,brace yourself b/c the carb'd cars fuel level sending unit for the gas gauge to still work is about $300 . So yea,I went the cheap-er route.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rice Killer87
When I did this to my 87 I left the computer in the car but the wireing harness wasnt hooked to anything just so I could use the intank pump b/c I couldnt afford to swap everything out and put a different fuel pump in it...and if you take out the intank pump,brace yourself b/c the carb'd cars fuel level sending unit for the gas gauge to still work is about $300 . So yea,I went the cheap-er route.
if just wanting a carb pickup, pull the sender, remove the pump, and attach a peice of tubing(a compression fitting works great here) to extend the tube to the bottom, but, since there is now no screen in the tank, make sure to use a filter before the mechanical pump