3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

What the heck is a Camaro ZF!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 12:31 PM

What the heck is a Camaro ZF!?!?!?

Allright, shortly after I bought my '86 Camaro, my friend decided he wanted one too. He bought an '84. He called it a Camaro "ZF." I went over his house becasue I was very interested in what this car might be, and sure enough, there was "ZF" right on the dash. Now we both know a lot about cars and we're both in an auto program at the same school, going into our juniour year. But we honestly have no idea what this car is.

Some details about the car;

1) It has a wierd wood-grain passenger side dash.
2) It's an automatic TH 400.... Or 350, I can't remember and he hasn't driven the car yet since he doesn't have his lisense.
3) It has the 3 slots in the front like the Berlinetta or sport coupes would have.
4) It's a 305.
5) It has a sunroof.
6) It's wheels seem to be slightly different then the normal 15x7 rally wheels on my car, they just look a little different.
7) That's all I can really think of that's important right now.

If you guys could help us figure out what this car is, it'd be greatly appreciated. Right now, our best-guess is that it's a Canadien car, but like I said we're not sure.

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:09 PM

Re: What the heck is a Camaro ZF!?!?!?

I googled it, and one thing I did notice was that they all had the 2.8L v6. I assume that your friends drivetrain might not be what it came with from the factory. My guess is that it was the high end v6 model, like the RS is for 4th gens
Old 08-21-2005, 01:43 PM

Yeah, but they had RS in the third gens too. Plus, it's all original. Engine and tranny sie at-least.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:50 PM

Yah, but the RS came in v8 as well. I always assumed the RS was to Camaro what the LX is to 5.0 mustangs. Oh well, anyway, some people seemed really proud to own it on the google search, one guy was like "it's a real ZF" so it must be somewhat special.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by '86 350
Yeah, but they had RS in the third gens too. Plus, it's all original. Engine and tranny sie at-least.
Not in 1984 they didn't.............The RS Option didn't return until after 87 (not sure of the exact year off the top of my head).
Old 08-22-2005, 07:14 AM

Not a stock model but one of those specical cars made up by some Dealers as promotions. If you check its all cheap add ons,
Old 08-22-2005, 04:00 PM

So it's just a dealer car that has some bolt-on parts and stuff like that? Anything else you know about the car? (performance wise, rarity, etc?)
Old 08-22-2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by '86 350
So it's just a dealer car that has some bolt-on parts and stuff like that? Anything else you know about the car? (performance wise, rarity, etc?)
Not a Performance car and in my opinion its not worth bragging about,
Old 08-22-2005, 06:25 PM
KRS

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Not in 1984 they didn't.............The RS Option didn't return until after 87 (not sure of the exact year off the top of my head).
hum..my insc. company must not know very much or they are trying to overcharge me on my 85.They told me that they did the check on the VIN and that my car was an RS..liars.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:04 PM

Shoot, I last saw one of those ZF Camaros back in 1990 in Cocoa Beach Florida. It was a 5-speed 2.8L V6 car, and the guy was wanting to mod the V6 much as Herb Adams did about that time to make it into a corner carver.

I'm afraid that after fifteen years I've pretty much forgotten the details of that car though. I'm pretty sure it's a trim package. There was a performance suspension package for V6 cars about that time, I think it was F41 or something like that.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by KRS
hum..my insc. company must not know very much or they are trying to overcharge me on my 85.They told me that they did the check on the VIN and that my car was an RS..liars.
In 1985 you could get a Camaro one of 4 ways......

1) Base "Sport Coupe"
2) Berlinetta
3) Z-28
or
4) IROC-Z

I was slighty off in my original statement, 1987 WAS the 1st year for the return of the RS option and it could be had with either the base V6 or the V8 (I believe).......and it was ONLY sold (new) in California that year........there was no 1988 RS's but it came back in 1989 and stayed on thru the 1992 production year.

Source:

Personal knowledge/experience/buying a new 85 Berlinetta, a new 85 IROC, a new 87 IROC and a new 92 Z28..........back in the day.

http://www.iroczone.com/specs/camaro/camindex.html Click on any year there for applicable info.

FWIW, my insurance company tried to tell me that my 2000 Honda Civic Si was a "Type R" and they were ADAMENT about it. So much so that they added a surcharge for a "performance" car above the Si model....even after I faxed them Acura AND Honda brochures showing that Civics had no "Type R" & that Acura was the brand with those......(even though Acura is produced by Honda).......

Last edited by Rottluver; 08-23-2005 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by ws6transam
Shoot, I last saw one of those ZF Camaros back in 1990 in Cocoa Beach Florida. It was a 5-speed 2.8L V6 car, and the guy was wanting to mod the V6 much as Herb Adams did about that time to make it into a corner carver.

I'm afraid that after fifteen years I've pretty much forgotten the details of that car though. I'm pretty sure it's a trim package. There was a performance suspension package for V6 cars about that time, I think it was F41 or something like that.
That is pretty funny cuz the F41 suspension option was available on any Camaro other then the Z28 or IROC.....why would they make a "ZF" pacakge based on that?
Old 08-23-2005, 06:35 AM

Because the so called Non-Factory ZF crap was installed on the cheapest model available by the Dealer to jack up his profits. Example of the crap options: Woodgain interiior plastic trim & big ZF decals on the doors.

Last edited by 87DJP2001; 08-23-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rottluver
FWIW, my insurance company tried to tell me that my 2000 Honda Civic Si was a "Type R" and they were ADAMENT about it. So much so that they added a surcharge for a "performance" car above the Si model....even after I faxed them Acura AND Honda brochures showing that Civics had no "Type R" & that Acura was the brand with those......(even though Acura is produced by Honda).......

the're is a honda civic type-r.. just not sold in the states
Old 08-23-2005, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by rollingstock
the're is a honda civic type-r.. just not sold in the states
I am just guessing, but I doubt my insurance company has/had acess to data on foriegn cars....hell, even if they did, the VIN tells where it was built for God's sake.

Did I mention I hate insurance companies?

Quick Reply: What the heck is a Camaro ZF!?!?!?