3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Questions on a 5.7l TPI

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:39 AM

Questions on a 5.7l TPI

Ok so I got this 5.7 TPI in a trade for a motorcycle I paid 1200 for. its got a polished intake, Siamese runners running off a 5.7l vortec longblock. the guy said the heads had a 3 angle valve job, and it has a comp extreme energy cam. other then that it all seems pretty stock to me. it has 10:1 compression which I think the vortec was a 9:1. when I asked this kid for the build sheet (we haven't completed the trade yet) this is what I got

Engine Spec/info

Custom built Chevy 350 400 hp 5.7 High Performance V8 Crate engine with a beautifully show polished Tune Port Injection . Zero miles. Looks great, runs very strong and gets 27 to 30 mpg depending on what you put it in. All new parts and are the best parts and components. HD High Nickle Vortec block and heads. Micro polished steel crank with a one piece rear main seal that won't leak later on. It also has a one piece urethane oil pan gasket that doesn't require any silicone for an excellent seal. The valve cover gaskets are also urethane not cork. Forged rods and hp pistons. Iron high performance heads that perform just as good as alum heads. Alum heads are available for $1000 but the only benefit you get is a weight savings of about 40lbs. An Extreme Energy TPI Comp Cam and lifters. Show polished injection runners, plenum, water outlet, hp throttle body and plenum extension. All new allen bolts, new gaskets, flow matched hp fuel injectors. All sensors that go on the injection. The base price includes triple chrome plated valve covers ( polished alum valve covers are also available as shown in some of my photos)., chrome pulleys, new high flow water pump. New high performance accel injectors are available for $275. The ceramic coated chrome headers are available for $195. A custom billett HEI distributor is only $95. A K&N Air filter is $50. Edelbrock High Flow Runners are $400 (required for 400 hp level). A High Pressure Electric externally mounted fuel pump is $100. A new retrofit injection wiring harness and computer is available. 3 year guarantee.
I also offer a 383 Stroker option for $1000. I sell a 700R4 and 200 4R automatic transmission with a double overdrive for better gas mileage and a lower 1st gear for stronger acceleration. And its completely wireless for $879 with a one year guarantee. If you also need a new trans dip stick tube and a new detent cable (also known as a TV cable) they are available for $25 each . Thanks .

WTF!?!?! Since when did a build sheet not give you dimensions and ratios. the fact that he tells me how much I can buy aluminum heads for pisses me off I wanna know the specs.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:21 PM

Re: Questions on a 5.7l TPI

Yea thats pretty much bull**** dude... How about a real buildsheet? If he cant produce it, i'd tell him to keep on truckin'... thats just me anyhow

Doc
Old 09-20-2011, 11:06 PM

Its a budget modded TPI motor, not a $5000 race motor. Take that for what its worth.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:50 PM

and aluminum heads do more than "save weight" and "cast perform as well as aluminum" is bs. if your serious and he aint BSin, he wont have any issue if you asked him to flip it over to yank the pan and a few main caps.

if the journals and mains are fresh you will know it.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:04 AM

ROFLMAO!!!! Oh my goodness.... Man, this guy is trying to pull sheets over your eyes. Pass on it. A real build sheet has actual numbers, specs, you know things that probably confuse those who don't know what they're looking at as opposed to an experienced person who does, lolz.

Oh and if it has any form of the LTR TPI set-up on it, and he's claiming 400hp on a 350sbc with the TPI, ported, aftermarket runners/base or not, then he NEEDS to show proof of that horsepower whether it be at the crank (more believable) or at the wheels. Not to say TPI LTR can't make 400rwhp, because they can, but it's not common.