3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

TBI to TPI Swap Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 08:44 PM

Question TBI to TPI Swap Help

I have a 91 Camaro TBI that i swapped out for an L98 TPI. I bought a new wiring harness from GM for a 92 TPI, and the dash wiring pins do not line up. Does anyone know how the wires should go? I appreciate any help.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:33 AM

Re: TBI to TPI Swap Help

You can just plug everything in and it will work. The car will start and run just fine. Only problems you will have will be the Speedometer wont work, and you wont be able to run a scan tool on the diognostic port until you change a few wires around. Dont ask me how to do it, i havent done it yet. There are quite a few guys on thirdgen who have though. I had a 92RS with the 170 hp TBI. I found a 91 Z (G92) 305 TPI car and just swapped everything over. The difference in the car was night and day. If you are just putting the TPI from an L98 on to your stock TBI 305 then you will probably dissapointed, if swapped complete engines you will be happy.(for a while)
Old 11-16-2004, 12:36 PM

I'm sorry, I guess I left out some of the details. My Camaro was a 91 Convertible RS 305 TBI. I had originally worked on the 305 TBI.
Edelbrock Performer TBI intake
Larger cam
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
It ran much better, but I changed to a true roller timing chain setup, and in a hurry set the timing on the wrong marks, and cracked my cylinder heads. I then decided to look for a 350 block, and ended up finding an L98 complete setup. I had the engine completely rebuilt, forged pistons, steel crank, etc. Then I polished the TPI setup, and ordered the new wiring harness from GM for a 92 TPI Camaro. I also have the Speed density computer. The next step was inbstalling the wiring, and that's where I had the problem. The dash wiring plugs fit, but the wires do not line up with each other. The wires are in different locations on the plugs. I don't want to rush things again. I still have to change the fuel pump, and I'm also changing the rear end to a disc brake setup.
The last thing I need now is a short, or electrical fire. Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, can you help?
Old 11-16-2004, 12:40 PM

Thanks!
At least I know I can get the car started. I'll keep working on it until I find out about the wiring. Let me know if I could help you out with anything.

Originally Posted by jtmiller92
You can just plug everything in and it will work. The car will start and run just fine. Only problems you will have will be the Speedometer wont work, and you wont be able to run a scan tool on the diognostic port until you change a few wires around. Dont ask me how to do it, i havent done it yet. There are quite a few guys on thirdgen who have though. I had a 92RS with the 170 hp TBI. I found a 91 Z (G92) 305 TPI car and just swapped everything over. The difference in the car was night and day. If you are just putting the TPI from an L98 on to your stock TBI 305 then you will probably dissapointed, if swapped complete engines you will be happy.(for a while)