3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Steering Gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 07:03 PM

Steering Gear

Ok, I've got an 84 Z-28. The steering gear box went to crap on my. Its got a significant amount of play in it and the steering wheel is all cocked to one side. I want to know how involved it is to change it out. Can I substitute an IROC box? Will it make a difference? Is a rack and pinion swap feasible?

Also, where do you guys in the Portland, Oregon area go to get parts and stuff? Any good salvage yards around that aren't too picked over? Thanks for your helps guys.

Eric
Old 04-23-2003, 12:23 AM

my question is was it a shop that told you this.

I had a shop tell me the exact same thing just because they didn't wanna do the alignment properly. The guy even claimed I JUMPED A GEAR in the box. I just have to find someone to do a proper alinment now.

So yeah point is, if it was a shop that said this, get a second opinion elsewhere.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:40 AM

**** on the gear and the drag link and the idler arm. I hate this steering setup. I have had a Procharger for a year now in a box because the steering gear is in the way. I have a friend that is going to put a rack and pinion on my car but he is so busy he hasn't had time. I took it to someone else and they were scared to do it so I am back waiting for him.

Anyway, I replace my box with one from Advance Auto Parts. It was a little better but not worth the money so I took it back and put the old one on. I also replaced the idler arm and it made no difference. You can tighten the allen screw and jam nut to put pressure on the input shaft but I wouldn't do it unless you know what you are doing. My steering wheel has a lot of play too but if your wheel is off center something may be wrong. Did it just happen or do it gradually? Is the car pulling one way so that you have to turn the wheel slightly in the opposite direction in order to keep the car straight?

Hope you find the problem. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2003, 06:13 AM

It could be the rag joint in the steering coupler. We changed it on my friends 82 T/A and it was a pain in the *** to drill out the rivets. That part is about $5.00 at Advance.
I have a WS6 steering box on my car that I am selling since I am going to go with manual steering. I want to have a very sparse engine bay with only one belt driven accessory, the alternator.

Here is a recent shot of my engine installed,
http://www.transamws6.com/pics/04-2003/air_intake2.jpg
Old 04-23-2003, 07:20 AM

yeah those shops are always trying to rip you off! you can'y trust anybody anymore!
Old 04-23-2003, 04:06 PM

My steering has been this way since I bought it. There is quite a considerable amount of play in it and I do have to keep opposite pressure on the wheel to make it go straight. Going over bumps it will go where every it wants while i keep the wheel straight.

Les Schwab told me they couldn't align it because the gears were wobbly in the box. I wouldn't be surprised if something else was a problem too underthere.

I still would like to know if I could tackle replacing it or would it be better to let someone at a shop do it. And will IROC boxs work in there. I'd rather have a little more road feel and effort than a light and sloppy box. Anyway, thanks for the input. Keep it coming!!
Old 04-24-2003, 10:10 AM

To answer your question, yes you can change it. Three bolts held mine to the frame. One pinch bolt for the input shaft and steering shaft coupler. One big nut for the output shaft. You need a gear puller to get the arm off that. And then a couple of wrenches for the supply and return lines. Very simple. Just heavy and awkward but you can do it.

Get use to the darting your car is doing over bumps. Mine does it. I think all 3rd gens do it a little. The wider tires on the front seem to make it worse although I have seen where the brand of tires make a difference. My Eagle F1s give me close to no trouble.

Go ahead and tackle the gear and tell us how it goes.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:21 PM

I was pretty sure that I would be able to tackle the swap but I just wanted to make sure that there wouldn't be any hidden surprises. I'll attempt this hopefully when the weather clears around here. I don't work in the rain!

Anyone know if the IROC boxes will bolt in to replace the Z-28 box? Is this done at all? Are there superior aftermarket boxes? Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:43 PM

All steering boxes in the 3rd gens are interchangable. There are different ratio's available. I would believe that IROC-Z's would have the quicker ratio for beter steering performance, but I am not positive. AGR makes a performance box that you can buy from Summit Racing, but AGR also says you should replace the power steering pump which they also sell. Something for you to think about.