3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 10:43 PM

Arrow Starting Problems

Well, I thought I had fixed the problem but once again. Its back. Let me first say here is what all I have replaced. New starter, 2 of them from Pepboys, a new Alternator, Battery, both battery cables. Ive cleaned where the grounds were at on the frame, engine and firewall.

Now, on to my problem. Sometimes...when I go to start the car it just clicks once and nothing happens. Now the lights dont dim and Ive had my charging system checked out and its putting out the desired voltage. It does this single click even if the car is hot or cold. Now, if I try to start the car a few times it might click a few more times...then...fire right up. Now, There are a few questions or ideas I have that might be the problem but I wanna run em by you all and see whatcha think. Could my Ignition/Key "chip" be wearing out? Or my ECM? I dont have any SES lights so no codes are being spit out at me. Im sure if the fuseable link on my battery cable was out the car wouldnt start at all right? Well, thats my problem folks. Im running outta ideas so if you have any ideas feel free to state them thanks.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:52 PM

Re: Starting Problems

just clicks once? that's funny, i'd check your starter wiring, especially the contacts, starter solenoid, (check in a haynes manual, they have a diagnosis for starter funcionality and solenoid functionality) then look for shorts in circuits, check and make sure the starter is the right one and has high enough torque, check your flexplate or flywheel gear teeth and see if it's binding, (also make sure it's the right tooth count starter), check the starter alignment... starter bolts' torque... then check your computer for output codes it's like a $25 scanner for 3rd gens,

ummm buy a remote starter and listen to it, or have a buddy get near the starter and try and listen for a humming like the motor is trying, or something....

check and make sure the solenoid isnt getting bound up and stuck before it engages the flywheel/flexplate.....

then i'm running low on thoughts

main things that go wrong is some foreign object is screwin with it, the starter is misaligned, the wiring is loose/crappy contact, shorting out somehow, bad battery with low cranking amperage, and bad solenoid, the solenoid is what you hear click i assume, but the click could be a spark shorting as well

umm yea thats where i'd look, easiest stuff first and harder stuff later.

good luck
Old 07-16-2006, 07:43 AM
jms

Re: Starting Problems

Check your ignition switch. The one that is bolted to the top of the steering column about where your feet are. (You may have to drop the column about 2-3 inches---easily done by the bolts that hold the column to the dash--pointing straight up in the area between your knees and ankles.)

The switch has a slot where it bolts to the column and is slightly adjustable.

Sometimes the long, thin rod from the key switch (at the steering wheel) can be slightly mis-aligned and/or not allow enough movement to engage the ignition switch above the steering column.

jms