3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Starter Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 12:15 PM

Re: Starter Problems...

i don't have the chip in my key tho, so therefore i don't have vats right?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:02 PM

okay here's an update guys...and yes its still not working!

went out and bought a brand new postive battery wire that goes from the battery to the starter, then a brand new ground wire that goes from the battery to the block(altenator bolt)...its all new wires and connectors all precrimped...

my dad hooked up everythign with the starter dangling there and grounded it out with jumper cables, and voila! it worked! so he went and bolted it all in, and now nothing! so he hooked the jumper cable up again, and still nothin...even switched the ground strap to a different location on the block..still nothin..

so now he has the nuetral safety switch ripped apart, he called me today and said there are 5 wires incorporated with it. He found the wire that gives juice when you turn the key, and he wants to know what wire he jumps it too with the paper clip??
Old 03-28-2006, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by klumb15
okay here's an update guys...and yes its still not working!

went out and bought a brand new postive battery wire that goes from the battery to the starter, then a brand new ground wire that goes from the battery to the block(altenator bolt)...its all new wires and connectors all precrimped...

my dad hooked up everythign with the starter dangling there and grounded it out with jumper cables, and voila! it worked! so he went and bolted it all in, and now nothing! so he hooked the jumper cable up again, and still nothin...even switched the ground strap to a different location on the block..still nothin..

so now he has the nuetral safety switch ripped apart, he called me today and said there are 5 wires incorporated with it. He found the wire that gives juice when you turn the key, and he wants to know what wire he jumps it too with the paper clip??
yellow(pin E) to brown, (Pin F)

and if that is good, see if the theft deterrant relay clicks when you turn the key, if yes, check the yellow wire(C1) for power when you turn the key(jump this the the purple and you have bypassed you theft relay and neural safety switch)
Old 04-03-2006, 03:17 PM

alright guys, you told me to keep you updated, so its finally fixed and here's the write up..

i went home this past weekend to help my dad out, and he said he's been messin with this all week, checked the nuetral safety switch, put all new wires in etc etc. still nothin, so then he pulls all the wires up to the top of the engine bay, lays the starter down, hooks them up, uses a jumper cable for a ground to the starter bolt on the block, and wham the thing goes everytime..okay drag the wires back down, hook them up with the starter bolted to the block, and nothing..so we were thinking, maybe its canceling something when it gets hooked up to the block, but that doesn't sound like the problem. so I said well lets make the same EXACT circuit, so i hook up the jumper cable...still nothing...so we sat there thinking, tryed a couple different grounds, i'm like man i'm stumped...i said to my dad, lets pull the wires all back up, and hook the starter up on top again, but this time hold it in his hands while i turn the key, who knows maybe its grounding out through the shock tower that it was laying on.. well he holds it up, and nothing, we were like well thats the problem, how do we fix it, because all of our grounds are perfect? but if you look at the starter, you have the main terminal hookups on one side, then on the other side there is a wire that jumps the power supply from the solenoid to the starter all nicely wrapped in rubber with groumets on it and whatnot...well my dad starts pickin at it, and gets it uncovered...well the wire was soldered soldered with ONE TINY F*CKIN DROP to a plate that was bolted to a bolt style terminal, so the wire must've been disconnected for some time now, and everytime we layed it on the shock tower it would lay right on that so it made connection...how much BULLSH*T is that...all long it was a starter problem, so i crimped and soldered a nice big gold eye ring to the wire and put it on the bolt, i don't know why they don't do that from the factory...so anybody with a CVR hitorque mini starter with the same problems, look for this problem....

I just wanted to thank everybody that helped me out here, and helped me through this ordeal and you guys helped out a ton...thanks
Old 04-03-2006, 03:58 PM
IHI

OMG, I dont know weather to laugh or have a cold one for ya.. .Glad you FINALLY got this resolved..what a mess.

Long time ago a buddy of mine laughed while I was beeotching about stuff not going together right that I paid good money for, his response-"welcome to the fun world of race parts-where everything costs twice as much and never fits" and that credo almost always holds true as you've just found out

Glad it's finally over and you can start letting your hair grow back
Old 04-03-2006, 04:03 PM

no kidding, 19 is too early for my hair to fall out. I'm sure my dad lost a few through this whole ordeal though...

that is true about race parts though, seems like they never fit right..
Old 04-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Banned

LOL I told you it was a damn grounding or wiring issue!! But congrats; I know what it feels like to finally be able to start your Beast again!