3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

smog pump bull

Old 06-09-2004, 12:13 AM

smog pump bull

I have an 86 iroc with tpi and i don't know if i can run the fuel injection without a smog pump and the computer still function properly.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:28 AM

I'm pretty sure you can ditch the smog crap, I know it was done to my 85 Z by the previous owner. It has a computer controlled carb, and it does not throw any codes. I don't see why it would be a problem with the TPI, but I could be wrong. Wait for someone with a TPI motor to chime in before you do it.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:53 AM

Other than emission testing requirements the only thing the "smog pump" A.I.R pump is used for is to inject air into a cold exhaust to lower the emissions. Once an engine has reached operating temperatures, the added air into the exhaust isn't required. Without the pump, the computer may keep the engine in an open loop longer. Using a heated O2 sensor will help.

If you have to do emission testing, make sure the car is hot before it's tested. If they do a visual check for the pump then you'll need to have it on the engine.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:47 PM

Both the cars in my Sig dont have the A.I.R on em. No codes for the past two years on the Bird, I just got the IROC and no codes for the past two months... It wont bother anything, just make sure to pull back the pump wiring so that it wont get burned or pulled in by the belts. AND yes I know by experience....lol

Lates,

Demo
Old 06-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Stephen 87 IROC
Other than emission testing requirements the only thing the "smog pump" A.I.R pump is used for is to inject air into a cold exhaust to lower the emissions. Once an engine has reached operating temperatures, the added air into the exhaust isn't required. Without the pump, the computer may keep the engine in an open loop longer. Using a heated O2 sensor will help.

If you have to do emission testing, make sure the car is hot before it's tested. If they do a visual check for the pump then you'll need to have it on the engine.
I don't think so, at least on mine. When the engine just starts up and the cat is cold, it diverts air into the exhaust manifold to meet the hot exhaust and give it time to mix so as to get lower emmissions. Once it is hot, air is piped into the cat directly. In any case, since you don't have aftercat sensors, the ECM will not know the difference. If you are driving it int he winter, heated O2 sensors might help but otherwise, don't waste your money. I have disconnected my heater elemets and not noticed that my car was dropping out of closed loop especially in the summer.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:37 AM

I was worried if it would code anything at all or not. I was just wondering if i had to do anything with this one little black thing that hooks up to the pumpthat has 2 plugs that hook into it and i didn't know if that could be thrown away or just take it an throw it on the side.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:42 AM

I assume that black thing you are talking about is the diverter valve. It goes along with the A.I.R. crap. You can get rid of it too.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:53 AM

that is it i just didn't really know its name. do i have to do anything with those 2 plugs or can i just put them on the side.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:44 AM

Just put em to the side away from the exhaust somewhere. You'll be good to go.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:44 AM
Banned

Originally posted by jmac86iroc
that is it i just didn't really know its name. do i have to do anything with those 2 plugs or can i just put them on the side.
Zip tie them away in case you need them. Also cover the ends with some electrical tape to be safe.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by aklim
Zip tie them away in case you need them. Also cover the ends with some electrical tape to be safe.
yea that was what i was going to do. probably fasin them down on the fender well or something
Old 06-11-2004, 01:25 PM
Banned

Ooooh, before you do seal up the plug units, a shot of dielectric grease won't hurt.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:30 AM

hmm, I have a 89 camaro with a 5.7L TBI and I was going to remove my smog pump but I couldn't find a belt to fit without the smog pump, does anyone have a part id# or something that would fit?
Old 06-13-2004, 01:02 PM

***Use the Dayco 968K6 belt. It is basically a 96.8" 6 rib belt.***

Got that off of Thirgen.org. I am thinking of getting a shorter belt though. It still looks sorta long on my Bird. Good thing the IROC had the V-belt...lol I also heard of a delete pulley, dont know if its the A/C delete pulley or not, just something else to check on...

Lates,

Demo

Last edited by virtualdemo; 06-13-2004 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:22 PM

http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/serpentine.shtml

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: smog pump bull