3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Should I keep my Car, or by another?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 08:08 AM

Should I keep my Car, or by another?

Ok, my car has alot of problems, windows don't seal up right (not even when I try to fix it) and the gas tanks broke, so on and so on, alot of problems.

But heres the question, I'm getting my settlement from my accident (crashed my 91 firebird ) and I will have enough money to fix my car, and mod it abit, or by another all together that hopefully doesn't have these problems, and maybe get alittle farther with it overtime. (Hopes that makes sense)

I'm just wondering if I should by a manual or an auto trans?

See, my car has a bad history, salvaged and such, millage roll backs, alot of stupid things, plus some wiring problems, that I have fixed, but there seems to be something new to fix everyday.

So should I buy like a z/28? I'm planning on modding the suspension and engine and such, so I'm not to worried about the "z/28 is better then base model" thing, I'm mostly just wondering which would be easier for Safety and future modding?

I know that theres cars out there with 350s, not to uncommon, but for the most part, they are tired and old, same with their trans.

See, heres my questions.

1) If I was to redo alot of the suspension on my base model camaro, would it still be less then what I would have got out of a z/28 with same mods?

2) I assume my Manual trans is not as powerful (or easy to drive) as the auto, but I'm wondering if it would be easier to have an auto or a manual, which is easier to live with and which is easier to make hold gobs of hoursepower? (I"m not to worried about Racing in nascar anytime soon, the 'gobs of horse power' is just incase one day I become single (jk), and can do that kind of thing just some basic street racing/ getting junk at store. Nothing more then 300-350 hp)

3) I know that a 350 is, in most aspects, the same 350 as all the rest, I know that if you pick at it, you can prove me wrong, but don't what I'm wondering is would it be cheaper to rebuild and then mod an old, possibly tired 350, or just buy a new one?

4) Does someone have the stats for 91-92 firebirds? I miss my old one, and I am really thinking about buying a new one

5) What is the most solid made version and year (3rd gen)? I assume 92 camaros and firebirds, am I right? I really want as much car strength as possible, not engine strength, but like real car frame strength, safety is a big issue for me, as my girlfriend will be in this car alot of the time (but not driving ) And I don't want her to feel unsafe, or get seriously hurt simply because I cut corners for performance

6) Off topic sorta, does anyone sell camaro doors that are any lighter then stock? and that actually hold the glass solid against the seal? cause I know my doors are about to fall off for the most part. doors and rearhatch are major problems for 3rd gens, and I don't want to just get replacements from a junk yard, as they have the same problems as mine at home, almost every door and hatch are like that, just give it time so if I get 'new' ones, or 'rebuilt' ones, then it will be several years before I have to worry about it again, which is longer then I expect to get from junk yards up here (the junk yards up in northern California just suck)

Yea, I think thats about it

Nomatter what car I get, I'm mostly interested in the strength of the components on the car, rather then the speed, I'm going to focus mostly on suspension, interior, trans, exterior, then engine (I see it as this, if all else fails, i can rebuilt the 305) I'm wanting to do this right, and preferably only once

I'm also playing with the idea of buying a 1-2nd gen, or maybe a 4th gen f-body, I've been living with 3rd gens since the 80s (grandfather used to work on alot of f-bodies) and although I am completely digging the 3rd gens, they are great looking cars, its like having to much of a good thing (yea, I'll put it like that so you guys don't flame me )

Man I type alot

Old 03-06-2003, 10:00 AM

well i think that you should jsut go get another car to use as a daily driver and maybe mod it some and really concentrate on making your current car a really nice car oh yeah make it really fast too like me