3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Shifter Knob Clip

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 07:22 AM

Shifter **** Clip

Okay bought a brand new leather stiched t-handle shifter **** off ebay at a great price. But the clip will not hold the **** in place I can see where the problem is but I can't figure out why it is like this.

One possilble reason for this problem that it might be is that someone cut the pole to make the **** sit lower? I was wondering if someone could describe where the clip holds onto when it is in place? Does it slide over the metal pole or over the plastic piece that runs down the metal pole to the trannie.

Looking at it now it seems as it should grip the metal pole as the plastic piece moves up and down when the shifter **** is pressed.

The t-handle was apprantly for a late model trans am.

Anyone have any suggestions what I can do? Can I fit in a new pole easily (sorry don't know the correct name for it) maybe it is called a lever?

Also when I put the clip iside the shifter **** you cannot see it when you look down the shifter **** opening, is this normal?

Any advice would help thanks, Mike
Old 10-12-2003, 08:57 AM

hmmmm thats odd. no you cant see it if you look down it has special slots it sits in. well i bought a leaher **** from a 2001 camaro didnt have any problems. do you have your old ****? i suggest takeing the clip out of the shifter and try testing it that way it could be you might have to raise or lower the **** till you hit the grooves. if you just use the clip you can see if it even has grooves to fit on. im assuming you old one fit flawless. just be caustions of that plastic piece. a candle has more strength then it
Old 10-12-2003, 09:13 AM

Nope my old shifter **** does not fit either. The guy who had the car before me fixed the problem by drilling a hole in the metal shaft and screwing a little screw into it and holding the **** on that way. But that is useless as it just wobbles.

I had a look where the metal clip sides to on the metal shaft. It slides above the metal shaft and has nothing to grip onto. It has about 2mm on each side room and sits around the plastic rod that goes inside the metal shaft. So obviously something is wrong here. I think someone shortened the metal shaft and now the clip has nothing to hold onto.

That is the only explanation I can come up with it looks very rough on the top and not even straight definitely looks like it has been cut.

The question is though can the metal shaft be replaced easily??

Am I correct in understanding that there should be grooves in the metal shft that the CLIP slides and falls into the groove?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2003, 09:21 AM

i have no clue there. but imagine if your going in their just get yourself a ripper shifter.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:25 AM

Hope it is not too much of a big deal to exchange the shafts. This leather **** looks sweeeeeeeeet.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:52 AM

i had the same shifter **** in my 83z and it was pretty cool but i had a problem with my detent and needed a new shifter fast so i just went for the megashifter which is really sweet too.

anyway the answer is yea they probably cut the black metal shaft becasue there should be a ridge cut around the shaft towards the top where the clip pops into kinda like a piston ring groove
i have the whole assembly sitting in my room and i would maybee part with it if you need it.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:28 AM

I sent you a private message about the shifter assembly might be interested in it if you want to part with it.