3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Picking a carburetor.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 12:12 AM

Re: Picking a carburetor.

Wow. Apparently I'm not supposed to question what people say on here huh? No, my parents arren't rich and no they aren't paying for anything on this car actually, it's completely funded by me. If my dad drives my car (my mom can't drive a stick so he's the only one who actually does drive it) he pays for the gas in it, but why shouldn't he? He IS driving it isn't he?

I was simply stating things I had noticed and read, what's wrong with that? I wanted to know what would be my best option for a carb and some reasons why. I thank the people who have provided me with insight, however like you stated I'm young and I can't go dumping $300-$400 on a carb and then find out there were better options I had. I'm simply gathering a bunch of opinions.

Your 14 years old..granted you may have taken some mechanical courses
Actually I'm 15, and I'm actually in my 3rd year of automotive at a Vocational/Technical high school. So yeah, I've had some experiance.

Aparently you have a real problem when people question what you say, or ask someone else.....
Old 07-14-2005, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by '86 350
Wow. Apparently I'm not supposed to question what people say on here huh? No, my parents arren't rich and no they aren't paying for anything on this car actually, it's completely funded by me. If my dad drives my car (my mom can't drive a stick so he's the only one who actually does drive it) he pays for the gas in it, but why shouldn't he? He IS driving it isn't he?

I was simply stating things I had noticed and read, what's wrong with that? I wanted to know what would be my best option for a carb and some reasons why. I thank the people who have provided me with insight, however like you stated I'm young and I can't go dumping $300-$400 on a carb and then find out there were better options I had. I'm simply gathering a bunch of opinions.

Actually I'm 15, and I'm actually in my 3rd year of automotive at a Vocational/Technical high school. So yeah, I've had some experiance.

Aparently you have a real problem when people question what you say, or ask someone else.....
No..Not as you think. I provided you with a pretty good professional article and you said you have read it, but yet you still act dumbfounded about how small the 600 CFM carb is!! That is my only point. It's your money and if you ask for advice and it is given then you shouldn't knock it when someone expresses to you the good and the bad of what you wish to do.... Good Luck in your decisions..by the way, a couple of the guys who answered after I did were from Jegs..so i would think that that is excellent advice for you to consider!!
Old 07-14-2005, 11:49 AM

And as you can see I thanked you for your article. I was about ready to order a 750 cfm carba dn thanks to your article I decided I'm looking for either 650cfm or 600cfm. I did find it very helpful.

I was wondering if going to a 650cfm carb would be better then a 600cfm carb. Not if the 600 would be good, but the 650 would be better. Even according CHP article and their equation, with their engine winding out around 6,500rpm, they should have been running a 720cfm carb, and they found the 750 cfm to still give them good throttle response and the most power, one of the reasons I was still asking about the 650. Plus I really like the fact that the Thunder AVS carbs have adjustable secondaries.

Also, no one has expressed the good or the bad of going to the 650 cfm carb. They have simply said 600cfm and that's it. I never knocked anyones advice, however I have to wonder when some people tell me there is no difference between a 600cfm carb and an 800cfm carb (not you, but someone else). That's all, I'm just gathering many opinions and then seeing which one I think would be the best. And as for having to pay for the tons of more fuel the 650cfm carb would use, I think my parents and I will find it to be a lot easier to pay for then the 770cfm carb I'm using right now.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:39 PM

Also, I'm not qustioining whoever it is that was from Jeg's and told me to go with the 600cfm Edelbrock, but just to make myself more confused I cAlled both Jeg's and summit today. Jeg's thought I should go with a 650cfm from Edelbrock or Holley and Summit suggested the 670cfm from Holley. So.....
Old 07-15-2005, 10:57 PM

Edelbrock makes a really good carb get the vac secondaries, unlike the holley you won't have to adjust it when the weather changes, I had holley's for a while then went to edelbrock and have been very happy. A 600 is perfect for 350 hp you can go 650 if you really want but I think you'll just be wasting gas.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:03 PM

Good, but I plan to biuld up the engine eventually, so that's why I was considering going with the 650cfm. When I'm done the egnien will probably be putting out a little over 400 horsepower....
Old 07-16-2005, 09:41 AM

you will get better throttle response from a 600 right now, if you put a 650 on it right now you will only bog the car down with too much fuel, you will actually loose hp and torque. Once you get 400 hp you will still want a 600 it will provide plenty of fuel for a 400 hp car, it is way worse to go with too much carb than too little. I know a guy who swears by quadrajets. I know another guy who has a 380 hp 350ci in an s-10 and is running a 2bbl carb, it sounds to me like you should really go on ebay or the junk yard and get tpi and a computer and let the car decide how much fuel you need.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:19 PM

Allright, I'm looking at the 600cfm performer carb right now and the electric choke version is calibrated for fuel economy while the manual choke version is calibrated for more power. Now I want the carb with more power, but I don't have like a little thing in my cockpit to pull for the manual choke. What kind of shoke is on the Edelbrock? Is it the kind where I need something to pull in the cockpit or something or does it operate when I push the pedal to the floor, start it and let off?
Old 07-16-2005, 04:44 PM

I Have an electric choke but I think you have to pop the hood and do it by hand not sure though. My neighbor has a manual choke and thats what he does.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:41 PM

Allright, here's the problem I have folks, unless the Edelbrock is the type of choke I described (the one where you just floor the gas when you start it and let off) then I'm not going to go with a Manual choke. I simply don't want to do it. I'm not gonna be outside freezing my *** off in subzero temperatures playing with a little thing on my carb to get it to run. I need an electric choke. The problem is, if I get the 600cfm electric choke form Edlebrock, then that's set for fuel economy and I think I'm going to find it restricts performance.

Now, I don't really want to go with Holley again because Edelbrocks seem more streetable and the Holley's are really annoying to work on (or so I've been told). The only option I seem to be left with is the 650cfm Thuder series from edelbrock with an electric choke.

What exactly does it mean when Edelbrock says "calibrated" for fuel economy? Are the actuall internals or anything on the carb changed, or does it just refer to the way it might be jetted or somehting from the factory?

EDIT: Could I buy the calibration kit and tune it to perfrom like the mechanical version of this carb?

Last edited by '86 350; 07-16-2005 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:40 PM

Basically "calibrated for maximum fuel economy" means that its a good carb that won't waste uneeded fuel. The electric choke has a primary jet of .098 and a .095 secondary the manual choke offers P .100 and S .095 not a really big difference. The metering rods on the electric are .075 x .047 the Manual .070 x .047 and the spring on the electric is 4" where as the spring on the Manaul is 5". The calibration kit would alow you to change all of this. I would get the electric and not worry about calibrating it. If the attitude of the engine isn't as good or better than what you have now with existing carb, then do it, but I think you will be happy with the performance and your father happy with the gas milage.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:50 PM

Thank you and all the people who have helped me with this thread. I just ordered the 600cfm carb.